Chapter Three - Part Six

accused of being romantically involved with a Pack Elder's daughter, Caspian's fall from grace was swift, and hard.

But in a shocking turn of events, Sully Noble cried rape in the face of her accusers. And at once, Caspian was doggedly pursued by the very same Garou that had called their own Elder's daughter a filthy abomination.

So he ran, of course, until he was eventually captured by a fellow member of his own Council. And as consolation to prevent war Caspian was then released to the Elder to be dealt with as he pleased. But Edward decided to wash his hands of the vampire, instead releasing Caspian to a group of Hunters that held no qualms when it came to spilling blood. They tortured him for several days, and then defanged, before Caspian was finally executed by the sunrise.

Supernaturals within Harbor Village assumed that things would return to normal after the vampire's death, but unfortunately, life had other plans for them. Because apparently, Sully's justice hadn't come without a price.

Sometime during the earlier, more sordid, events of whatever else had occurred between Sully and Caspian, Sully had slowly begun to go unhinged. And by the time Caspian met the true death, the poor girl lost her mind completely. She raved until the day she finally threw herself into the sea from the lighthouse on top of the Piney Bluff cliffs. Her body was never recovered, but neither had she been heard from since.

"Everyone just assumed the cold got to her until that she was eaten by the fish." Adelle had recounted at the end, with a saturnine thoughtfulness, and driving with one hand as she used the other to floss a piece of bubble gum between her teeth.

"This girl was basically driven to commit suicide, which then caused Charles to lose his mother and end up being raised by a disconnected father and overbearing grandparents. And if you think about it, that's probably why the Elder seems so hostile towards Vampires..."

And after her story, Adelle had then proceeded to launch into another (but thankfully shorter) discourse. Apparently Charles was trying to promote certain policies that would provide the Garou and their fellow Pack a more secure existence from outsiders. But it was legislation that was very clearly anti-friendly towards other Supernaturals, and in order to pass such rulings, Charles needed more than just the backing of his own Leadership.

There were other Packs in other corners of the world, and Charles would need a majority ruling from them (in his favor) in order to pass his laws. But as of yet, business between the Packs remained slow, rendering him unable to reform any of the Pack's regulations. So for the moment, Charles was only left with the Rules of the Red for comfort: a short, blunt list of regulations that effectively unified and divided all Supernaturals and their governments alike.

Inspired by these thoughts, I caught hold of an idea, throwing it to the wind to see if it would take.

"Maybe the note is referring to the Vampires." I said, envisioning a clear, sharp image of Tidus Romaine's angry face. "Maybe they want revenge for Caspian. Or maybe the Vampire Council is upset about Charles and his 'policies'..." I said, feeling disconnected from recognizing that the possibilities of the note were endless. It could turn into my obsession if I allowed myself to get swept away in it.

"Boy is it starting to get intense..." I remarked.

"Oh it really freakin' is." Addy agreed excitedly, jabbing me in the arm with her elbow.