Chapter Eleven - Part Four

“They’re Jeremy’s notes.” Claire replied. “They pretty much outline why it is you’re being sued. Apparently, Paris hadn’t married your father until after you were born. So you still, legally, carry her last name, which means you were never really born a Noble. Jeremy and your mother are questioning the legality of your signature on the deed – they’re calling it fraudulent.”

Amazing. The very same loophole that Jack and Paris had themselves created, my mother was willing to use against me in court. And the simplicity of such a small technicality was almost enough to make me laugh rather than cry. But nevertheless, the paper began to shake in my hands and I felt the burning sting of unfamiliar tears as my throat grew thick.

“Crap.” was the only appropriate response I could think of

“Jesus, why don’t you just change your name?” Adelle said, as if it were the simplest solution in the world.

“Change my name?” I repeated, dumbly.

“Yeah! Change it from Talimer to Noble.”

“It’s not that easy.” Claire interrupted. “Even if Naomi changes it tomorrow, it wouldn’t matter. At the time your friend signed this deed, legally, she was still a Talimer, so changing her name now won’t do a thing. Technically, Naomi, every time you’ve signed your name up to this point, you’ve been committing forgery. So if you don’t come up with something soon, your mother could really take the house.”

I said nothing, but Adelle was very busy glaring at Claire.

“But isn’t it worth a shot?” Addy insisted. “What has she got to lose?”

“Look, I didn’t say I was an expert.” Claire retorted. “But when you’ve worked here for a few years, you tend to pick up some of that legal jargon, and sometimes it actually sticks. You don’t have to believe me now, but you’ll find out it’s the truth when your friend here goes to court. Jeremy may be a slime ball, but he’s a smart slime ball. He wouldn’t have taken the case if he didn’t think he could win.”

“No, Claire, we trust you.” I said, speaking up, but in a dull tone of voice. “Never mind Addy – she tends to get grouchy past midnight with no snacks. But listen, is there anything – anything at all – that I can do to get around this?”

Claire sighed, fingering her scarf again.

“My advice? Hire a lawyer – a good one. And they damn sure have to be better than Jeremy, if you plan on winning.”

“Ok, well then, what about Mr. Talbot?” Addy said. “Hire him. He’s a lawyer, right?”

“Yes, but he’s not that kind of lawyer, Addy. He wouldn’t be much help in court.”

As Adelle scowled in disappointment, I reached my hand into the pocket of my jacket, and produced the envelope that held the check I had prepared earlier that night.

“Here,” I said, handing Claire the money.