Chapter Six - Part Four

"I wouldn't be able to make the truth serum right now, anyway." Claudia said. "I'm growing this plant – primrose. It helps to promote honesty and dispel secrets. Anyway, I happen to need some of its leaves for the serum, but it won't be mature for a few more weeks. Also, I'll need some other things too, before I can put it together – a few more ingredients..." Claudia said, and I watched as she opened the drawer in her coffee table, rummaging through it to produce a pencil, and scrap piece of notebook paper. She jotted down a few things, in very bad, stick-like, handwriting, and then handed me the list.

"And where exactly do you expect me to find this stuff?" I said, gazing down the list at the dozen or so, oddly named herbs.

"There's an underground dispensary here in town. It's called The Bakery – over on Maple and Third. Triplets run it, but their names don't matter because they never tell anyone, and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart anyway. But they can get you what you need. Just let them know I sent you."

"Right," I muttered, stuffing the note in my pocket. "Can we go now?" I said, raising my eyebrows at Tidus.

"Actually," Claudia said. "I need to speak to Tidus firs. Alone."

I didn't say anything. Instead, I shot a pointed look to Tidus and strode across the room, opening the door and then stepping through to the small, rickety porch. But even as I made my way onto the lawn, I could still hear their voices through the front door that I had purposefully left closed over.

"Here, this is for Angel," I could hear Claudia saying.

"What is it?" Tidus answered, in reply.

"Crushed valerian root. And it stinks fuckingly bad, so mix it in some hot tea with honey. Give it to her at night, before she goes to bed, and it should help her sleep."

"Claudia, I don't know that she'll take it. She's begun to refuse blood, and she won't eat unless we force her. But you know what I could do for her..."

"No. No, it wouldn't be rea, and besides, I finally found tracked down the amulet – it's in New York. You just have to help me out and go get it – I can't afford to miss any more work right now."

"What if we took her to see a therapist instead? Perhaps talking to another human would do her some good."

"Ti, a psychologist couldn't even begin to understand what my sister has been through, even without all the insane parts to her story. Trust me, I know what my sister needs. Angel misses what she was – who she used to be. And I honestly believe that the amulet would help."

"I don't know. I'm just not sure that this is a good idea. Claudia, remember when I told you that magic was actually created to be used as a weapon against other Supernaturals? Well, that amulet is part of the same magic, and we can't always trust what we don't know anything about."

"I think I could probably say the same thing about you, Ti. You don't know her, and yet somehow, you trust her enough to bring her here. What are you thinking? I mean, what if the Council finds out about this?"

"They won't."

"Look, is something going on between you and Naomi that I should know about it? Because if there is, I just wanna know..."

"You don't have to worry about her, Claudia – I know how to handle this. And don't worry about the amulet, I'll bring it back to you.... Listen, I should go. But I'll come by with Angel tomorrow, ok?"

"Yeah, ok. See you."

Quickly, I straightened, pretending to inspect a clod of dirty with the toe of my shoe, as Claudia's front door opened and closed.

"My apologies for keeping you waiting." Tidus said with a knowing smile, as he stepped down from the porch. "But I trust that our conversation kept you entertained?"

"You know, I have a really hard time believing you're as dangerous as you claim." I replied smoothly. "I bet beneath all that concrete, you've got a really gooey center."

 "I'm not who you want me to be, Naomi." he said, studying me with severe patience. "So don't waste time trying to convince yourself that a little kissing is gonna turn me into your frog prince."

"Boy," I said, folding my arms over my chest as we faced each other in the moonlight. "She has really gotten to you, hasn't she? Whatever you owe Claudia, it must be giant to make you ignore how you really feel."

"This has nothing to do with Claudia." he said in a low, dangerous voice. "Naomi, there will never be anything real between us."

"Well that's not what you let Ethan think." I shot back. "And that's not how it felt when you kissed me either. Tidus, even Claudia knows that something happens between us in the future. And you know that's the real reason why the girl can't stand me. But if you want me to just ignore it... then, fine. That's what I'll do."

Tidus said nothing. He merely walked past me and got into his car, turning up the radio and ignoring me when I climbed in after him.

*  *  *