no hiding

KJ's POV

"KJ!" I open my eyes , my brain working to process where I am. My eyes lock on the tall chunk of man in front of me, in all his post shower glory, "Are you okay? I heard screaming."

"I'm fine," I shake him off of me, "Go finish your shower towel boy."

He straightens back up, "Oh right. I keep forgetting you're a total douche bitch now."

He heads back to the bathroom and I lay back down. It's been five years. Yet every time I close my eyes, I see her. Her body. Her blood. Everywhere.

I finally roll out of bed and change into jeans and a t-shirt before packing my bag up and heading downs streets. Last night Vin and I stopped at a Bed and Breakfast somewhere outside Colorado, making us something like half way home.

I think back to when I left home and the shit storm that drove me out. I think about the hundred dollars I dropped to legally change my last name from my father's, "Parker" to my mom's maiden name, "Micheals." I remember the smell of my clothes on fire in my yard. I think about how I left with almost nothing. I think about how if not for Karry and Aunt Violet I'd be dead right about now.

"Hey, baby girl, ready to shake?" Vin appears with our things, "I'm already checked out."

"Sure, " I stand, and follow him out to his truck, loaded in the back with all our things.

"You still have nightmares?" he asks.

I chuckle dryly, "You still have nightmares about what happened to you?"

"You didn't have to go there," he replies, "I care about you, cynical you might me. Stop giving me such a hard time."

"Bite me," I reply. He scoffs and we pull off, the GPS indicating we have another day on the road to knock out.

***

"We can't... Do whatever we're doing anymore."

"I'm sorry?"  I give him an amused look, "Fuck you mean?"

"Baby girl you know good and well I'm talking about more than that," I look at his face and realize he's serious.

"You have feelings for me don't you?" I ask.

He exhales, "KJ its not about my feelings. It's about yours."

"What about me?" I question. My chest tightens and I feel panic grip my chest. You can't be leaving me too, Vinson.

"I love you. You've known that from the beginning... But here's the problem..." He takes one of my hands, "You may like me. Even love me. But I can't ever have you heart. Because someone else has it."

"Layne has nothing to do with us," I argue.

"The fact that you already know who I'm talking about though does." I snatch my hand back and run it through my hair in frustration.

"You're jealous of a dead girl?"

He shrugs, "Well, you're in love with one soooo....."

***

"Hey, dumbass," Vin slams on the breaks, jolting my body. A car horn blares as he whips into a gas station, nearly hitting someone else, "Fuck off!"

"What is wrong with you?" I hit him and he grins, "Ah so you're up."

He stops at a stall and gets out, "You got gas duty?"

"Sure," I get out and fill the tank. Anxious to reach our destination, Vin was insisting on non-stop driving the remaining hours home. As the gas pumps I find my thoughts wandering back to senior year. Wren. Layne. My dad. Everything was a mess.