no saying no

Dear Kaylie Jane,

     Once you said "you weren't good at words." And you're not. You're shit at them.
     And that's why my dumb ass loved you.

KJ's POV

"So you're not talking to me anymore?" I ask her. My calendar put Charlie's trial fifteen days away, and Ms. Lea had me meeting with her just about every one of those days. Which was cutting into what I had to assume was Charlie and Ella time. Which didn't help either of their trust of me.

"It's not my fault you're in here," I reply, "Help me and I can help you?"

She crosses her arms and smirks. It's one of the few emotions that she showed me in awhile.

"How about we talk about houses?" I suggest, "I live in the country with my friend, Vinson. Who did you live with?"

She's silent. "Who do you live with now?"

Nothing. She glances at the clock quickly, trying to hide it.

"You wanna get out of here don't you? Got someone to meet?"

He response is still nothing. "Alright," I push a pad of paper to her, "Draw me one thing--- just one thing--- to clue me in about you and you can go."

She glances at the paper then back at me. "I promise. I know you don't want to keep her waiting."

She takes the paper and draws what has to be the most obscure thing she's ever drawn for me. Then she tosses it back on my desk and leaves. God that was like pulling teeth.

Eventually my time comes for me to go and I head out. As I lock up, I notice my encouragement box was getting low. I make a mental note to get it filled again, then head out the back.

On my way out I receive a call and answer it, "Hey?"

"Are you still in town?" Beck's voice comes out clear over the phone.

"As always," I reply, locking my office for the day, "What's up?"

"I never got to show you my apartment! Come over!" He rambles off an address and I hurry to put it in my phone. "Got it."

"And don't come empty handed," he says before ending the call.

I make my way out the back and to my bike, ready to go home. "Ms. KJ!"

My reflexes are just sharp enough to catch a football hurdling at my head. I toss it back at the boys from which it originated then realize someone waits for me at my bike.

"Ella?"

"Hey," she stops leaning on it, "What's going on with Charlie? Why is she seeing you so much?"

"I don't know," I respond, tired and annoyed, "It's not like I'm her counselor."

"I'm serious!" she exasperates, "I'm worried about her! She's---"

"She's fine," I answer, "And you know I can't talk to you about her case anyway. Now do you mind?"

She moves away from my bike and I straddle it, "Anything else?"

"No ma'am," she heads back into the house and I pull off, heading to Beck's.

On my way there I pick up a bottle of my old vice, Fire ball. I hadn't had a drink since my twenty-first, but right now I wanted to get wrecked. I also grab some cheese and expensive bread, which I assume is what you bring to adult.

I find his apartment with no problem and buzz in, making my way to his door. I knock and he opens the door, engulfing me into a hug.

"Rough day?" I follow him into that what would be considered the living room of his studio apartment.