no hesitation

KJ's POV

As I start the Kawasaki and peel off the property, I feel my chest loosen, finally away from the house. There's no way that Vin could know what that house means to me, but also no way that us living there could be a complete coincidence. It wasn't near the city, so work couldn't be the answer, and it definitely wasn't close to my job.

My job, speaking of which, was at a group home for troubled youth, located on the edge of the city. The kids there were drawn in from either broken homes or placed their social services when they were unable to function in a typical foster home set up. For a lot of the kids, that was the last spot before prison or death.

In all honesty, I didn't know how I acquired the job, since I never applied, or even wrote up a resume, but the stars aligned I guess because they offered me the position, no questions asked. I don't even know the name of the place.

Just another odd ass thing happening in my life recently.

"Your destination is on your left..." 

I slow down and pull to a stop in front of a plain looking two story home, located at the end of a city block. I pull off my helmet and look at the sign in the front yard. CHRIST ALMIGHTY. This is the place.

"Hello!" a short but solid built woman emerges from the house, "Hi there!"

"Hello," she offers her hand and I shake it, "I'm--"

She cups my hand and shakes it enthusiastically, and probably way to long, "KJ Micheals! You must be! They said I would know you when I saw you and oh my did I see you!"

"Yeah," she lets my hand go and I find a way to wipe her sweat from it.

"Do you mind pulling around back to the parking lot? The back door should be unlocked."

"Sure thing," I move my bike and enter through the back door to the house. I come in on what must be the kitchen and dinning room, morphed together most likely over the course of several remodels.

"Come this way! Come on!" the bubbly woman from earlier waves me down the hall, showing me a small room, "This is your office."

I take a look around the room, just big enough for a desk and some chairs, "This is it?"

"Yes ma'am!" the woman exclaims. Her energy was starting to make me sick a little, "Feel free to move things around however you like! You're the only one that'll be using this space. Here's your key, make sure to lock up every evening when you leave you're expected to be here eight to five exactly but you seem like the prompt type and blahblahblahblahblahblah......" She drones on behind me and I tune it out, bored.

"Hey," I cut her off, "What was your name, again?"

"Oh! Oh, my goodness I never told you did I?!" she reaches to shake my hand again, "Lea. Like 'pea' but with an 'L.' The kids call me Mama Lea but you can call me whatever."

"Okay, nice to meet you, Ms. Lea," I nod and she blushes.

"Such a gentleman," she gestures to my desk, "Those are the case files of the teens you'll be working with. Since you're new, we've saddled you up with two to start, Charlie and Ella. Any questions?"

"No thanks," I take a seat at my desk.

"Okay! My office is two doors down if you need anything!"

She exits the office and I take a look around at the drab tan walls. This is not gonna work.

I shift my desk so that it's against the wall, opening up the small space, and move the chairs to all face inward. Still, the walls seem empty and depressing.