no help

KJ's POV

The weekend ends, all too soon, launching Layne and I back into our weekly schedule. Truth be told, the change was welcomed, as suddenly Layne was attached to me at the hip.

Wherever I go, she is two steps behind me.

So Monday morning, when I wake up, it's a much needed release to be able to get some time away from her. I relish in my shower, running my hands through my fro. The red in my hair was fading and I'm about a week past needing a haircut. I would've gotten one over the weekend, had I not been wrapped in Layne the whole time. I make a mental note to get one tomorrow after work.

I cut the shower off and get out, getting dressed in the bathroom and heading downstairs, a pep in my step. However, as I notice the kitchen light is on, I stumble, nearly falling the rest of the way down the steps.

I recover by jumping the rest of the way down and hurrying to the kitchen.

"Good morning," I find Layne downstairs, apparently waiting for me. She stands and kisses me on the cheek and I freeze under her touch.

"Good morning," I mumble, "What are you doing up this early?"

"Making coffee," she hands me a thermos.

"I was thinking we could carpool? Since we're both up and all," she suggests.

"Can't," I reply, "I've got a thing after."

"I can go with you?" she persists.

I clench my jaw, "Sorry it's something I have to do by myself," I quickly brush my lips against hers and flee the room like it's on fire.

"Ms. KJ?" At work, I find myself distracted. And Ella finds herself greatly irritated with that, "I'm trying to actually talk to you for once and this is how you treat me?"

"Sorry, kid," I tune back in to what she's saying, "Where were we?"

"No clue where you were," she sneers, "I was talking about what you're doing about Charlie and her hoe ass momma."

I cringe inwardly. In addition to things forgotten: Charlies trial was in few days and I could only get her to say small sentences, and even then she only whispered. Hope was starting to dissipate and things were not looking good for her.

But of course I can't say that to Ella.

"I'm trying my best," I try to keep my voice calm, "It'll be fine."

She gives me a look that says she doesn't believe me. She stands to leave, giving me one more displeased look on her way out. I can't take a single breath before a man with slick back hair is in my office.

"Hello do you have a minute? I'm Andrew Young," he shakes my hand, "Good evening." Young...

"Yeah... KJ Michaels," I take in his dark black hair, and near snow colored skin. "Do I know you?"

"I'm Charlie's attorney. And if you were noticing the semblance, I'm also her uncle," he smiles, "You've been working with her recently?"

"Yeah just the last couple months or so," I tell him.

"So you've been briefed about her sensitive history, yes?"

I nod, "What's this about?"

"Is she still mute?" he ignores me.

"I'm gonna need an answer to my question first," I press.

He exhales, "My sister, her mother, has decided to represent herself in court."