no(ne) like you

KJ's POV

My heart thunders in my chest as I drop to one knee in front of her. This is the most vulernable I've been with her and ever will be. I'm offering her my heart in this moment and her response will either make me the happiest woman alive or shatter my soul into pieces.

I search her face for a response, but it's blank. Then she stands up to leave.

"Layne!" I chase her out into the parking lot, grabbing her wrist, "Wait!"

She turns and slaps me, "Are you fucking shitting me, Kaylie Jane!"

I reel from the hit, grabbing my cheek in surprise. "Okay, ow. Why did you hit me?"

"You don't get to propose to me!" she shouts, "After everything you've done? You just walk back in and except me to take you back, every time? I'm not your property!"

"No of course not---"

"You don't get to do that!" she shouts, "You don't get to walk out of my life and back in whenever you please!"

"I know!" I shout back, "That's why I'm trying to find a way to stay in it!"

She slaps me again.

"Layne what the hell!" I rub my face, burning with reminisce of her hand, "What was the second one for?"

"Because I want to say yes!" she sighs, "You make me want to say 'yes' every time.  I don't know how you do it but you do..."

Realizing she's done hitting me I grab both of her hands, "Layne, I'm not perfect. You know this. But I promise that for the rest of my life I want to try to be perfect for you. I don't want to quit on us. Honestly, I'm garbage. But I want to be your garbage."

It's not a smooth line, but it gets a smile out of her. "C'mere," she grabs my tie, pulling me in for a kiss. Our lips connect as she pulls me even tighter, keeping me there. If I truly wanted to, I could easily jerk away from her and free myself. But she knows I won't, even though she was keen on beating my ass two seconds ago.

Eventually she pulls away, letting me go. I hesitate, awaiting her answer, "So....?"

"Kaylie Jane Micheals, I would love to be your wife."

***

After dinner Layne invites me back to her place. Her intentions are clear, as she eagerly grabs my hand and nearly drags me up the stairs.

"Baby," I stumble, missing a step, "Slow down maybe?"

"Don't tell me you can't keep up?" she laughs as I catch myself.

"Girl don't start with me," I mock tackle her, wrapping my arms around her waist, "We go down we go down together."

"I'll go down on you, maybe," she giggles. I let her go so she can grab her keys, "If you're good."

"Remember when you wanted to kill me a twenty minutes ago?" I laugh as she forces me into her apartment.

"And now I want to fuck you," she closes the door behind us with my body, pinning me to it. She kisses me passionately and I easily melt into it. She pulls away and looks me in the eye, "Is that okay with you?"

"So okay," I gasp for breath as she leads me to her bedroom. She pushes me onto the bed, straddling me and kissing me again. My hands travel to her hips as she grinds on me. She loosens my tie, and unbuttons my shirt, running her hands down my chest. "I love you," she whispers in my ear before kissing the area next to it.

I reach for her dress, but she's already pulling it up and over her head, tossing it away. Although up until now I'd given her control, I grab onto her, pulling her with me and flipping us. My hands travel roam her body and I dip to kiss her. She pushes my shirt off my shoulders and then works to undo my belt. Our clothes dissolve piece by piece until it's just us, between the sheets, in a carnal act of love.