no swiping

Layne's POV

Even without a destination, I find myself at Ray's. I knock on the door, and hear a shuffling from within the thin walls. She answers in nothing but a sports bra and boxers, "What?"

"Aren't you going to invite me in? Hit on me? Get me drunk and take advantage of me?" I question. It's strange of her not to appear elated to see me.

"Nah, I'm good," she dismisses me with a shake of her head, "What do you need?"

"A place to stay?" I suggest.

"Look kid," She pulls the door shut and motions for me to sit down, "We've had fun the last couple of days, yeah? But you can't stay here, though. I've got my girl coming and---"

"Your girl?"

"Yeah," she nods, "My fiancee."

"You're engaged and you were still fucking me?" I resist the urge to hit her, "That's disgusting."

"You're lecturing me about cheating?" she laughs, "You knew who I was, Sinclair."

The door opens behind us and a pretty, tall, woman opens up. I can tell just from looks she's about ten years older than us. "Who's this baby?"

"Hey," Ray immediately stands, kissing her, "This is Layne. Layne, this is my fiancee, Reece."

"Nice to meet you hon," she shakes my hand.

"She was just leaving," Ray states.

"Right," I stand as well, "I'll leave y'all alone. Congratulations."

I get back into my car and drive to where I should've gone in the first place.

***

KJ opens the door with a bowl in one hand and a lighter in the other. She realizes this about the same time I do, and smirks, "Hey."

"Hey," I glance behind her, "Can I-- um-- Can I come in?"

She nods and steps out of the way. With the door closed, she lights her piece and takes a hit, clearly not caring that I'm present.

"You're gonna smoke that in front of me?" I ask, incredulous.

"You're gonna ask me to stop?" she takes a seat in the living room, and I follow her. We end up in the same spots as the other night, "What's up?"

"I need a place to stay for a couple of nights," I can't keep the desperateness out of my tone, "Please."

She nods and takes a hit off her pipe. "Wanna hit?" she ignores me and passes me the pipe.

"Seriously?"

"You seem stressed," she takes another hit than holds it out to me again, "C'mon. You want to. I can see it in your eyes."

"Fine," I accept the piece and let the smoke fill my lungs, holding it in, and then blowing it out my nostrils.

"Happy?" I start to hand it back but she declines. "This is a puff puff pass household," she smirks.

I roll my eyes and take another, deeper, drag from it before handing it back.

We finish that bowl and then smoke another. And another. Pretty soon, we're both so high we're about to touch the clouds.

"Hey Layne?" KJ dumps out the ashes from that bowl and puts everything away.

"Yeah?"

"Are you hungry?"

We head out to her truck and she drives us into town. The entire time I find myself staring at her dash, feeling as if we're going one hundred miles instead of the actual sixty.