no savior

KJ's POV

I lay there as Layne takes off, slamming the front door behind her. The house rattles in response, then I'm greeted with a sickening silence. At some point I fall asleep, but only barely.

I sleep so little that it's hard to even call it sleep. It's more like an in depth nap. My bed just doesn't feel the same without her. Eventually, I awaken to my phone ringing and answer it. "KJ Michaels?"

"This is she," I groan. It's too early, "Who is this?"

"Andrew Young," he states, "Just making sure you're ready to stand trial today."

"Today?" I'd gotten so caught up in everything yesterday the trial had slipped my mind. I sit up, suddenly awake.

"Didn't you check your subpoena?" he questions.

"It's not like I've been to court before," I get defensive, searching for it, "I didn't know I needed to."

"Well you do," he says sternly, "And bring the documents listed too. I'll see you at nine sharp."

He hangs up and I launch myself from bed, showering and getting dressed. My arm still hurts like something vicious, so I take a danger mix of pain killers, my anxiety meds, and then a shot of whiskey just to top it all off. My mind races with a billion thoughts about Layne, but I attempt to suppress them so that I can put my full focus on Charlie today.

When I arrive at the court house Andrew is outside waiting for me with a coffee, "Glad you could make it."

"Did I have a choice?" I scoff.

He shakes his head, "Not much of one. But you'll be a big help to Charlie."

Right. For Charlie.

I exhale and follow him into one of the court rooms. He stops me immediately, "Hey! What are you doing?"

I open my mouth to say something but he stops me with is own answer, "Go check in and then wait with the other witnesses," he gestures down the hall, "You can stay after you testify."

I wait in my own small room for what seems like hours. In addition to me, the subpoena asked for all my notes on Charlie as well as some of her drawings. I didn't know what I'd be asked about, other than my 'expert opinion.' And right now I wasn't considering myself an expert of anything.

"Ms. Michaels?" one of the court officers comes to get me and I follow him into the court room. I look to the judge, an aged man with white hair. I turn to the courtroom itself. Immediately I can pick out Charlie's mother. She has the same dark hair, long and straight. She's actually beautiful, but in a sinister way. On her face is a forlorn expression, but I can tell its a fake one.

I take a seat and they swear me in.

"So Ms. Michaels," since I'm his witness, Andrew goes first with me, "Please state what you do."

"I'm a youth psychologist," the words flow freely from my lips and I try to suppress any panic.

"Do you consider yourself good at your job?" he questions.

"I do," I nod.

"So in your professional opinion, what would cause a young person to go mute?"

"Triggers are different for everyone," I say, "But most likely trauma from years of abuse."

"And did you see those symptoms in Charlotte Young?"

I nod, "Yes sir."

He nods, "Nothing further."