no(t) yours

KJ's POV

My phone vibrates for the thousandth time and I slowly regain consciousness. I lift my head from the soft flesh of a woman's chest and take a moment to get my barrings. Last night comes back to me like a flood and I groan.

Ella's attempt. Her blood on my clothes. I look down, seeing my shirt is still stained with it. Fuck. The bottle of vodka later and how I ended up at Layne's, utterly wasted. Everything I said.

I groan,"Ew... Vulnerability..." I slide off of her and stand, looking down. Even after all I'd done, Layne had held me all night. I don't deserve her.

I drop a kiss on her forehead and grab my jacket and shoes, slipping out the apartment as silently as possible.

I hurriedly pull my shoes on outside the door, half hopping half skipping down to my truck. I reach the steps and think about going back and telling her goodbye. But then again, I'm already committed to leaving.

My phone rings again and I pull it from my pocket, "Hello?"

"Ms. Kaylie Jane Michaels?" an unfamiliar voice asks.

"Yes?" I question, already unnerved by the use of my government name.

The voice on the phone continues.

No fucking way.

***

With the help of Karry and Saide I'm able to book the next flight to Colorado. My heart slams in my chest, threatening to beat out of it. I've lost Layne.... I can't lose him too... Not now...

The entire flight, I pray, which is something I haven't done in a long time. 

I bow my head and whisper to the heavens, "God please give me at least one break. I'm not saying I deserve it but damn fam cut me some slack, eh? Let him be alright I'll even roll into a church one time."

The plane shutters and kisses the ground in a successful landing. "Amen."

I pick up the cheapest rental car available and drive immediately to the hospital. I've been in hospitals so much of my life, it takes no time for me to find Vin's room.

"Ma'am? You can't go in there?" a nurse stops me, grabbing my arm, "Family only."

"I'm his wife," I reply, snatching my arm back from her.

She gives me a skeptical look, "Are you?"

Of course I'm not. But she doesn't know that. "Is it because I'm black?" I unceremoniously throw down the race card, which I wouldn't do normally but this bitch had me fucked up.

"No it's because he told me he wasn't married."

"Oh no," I stay in character, "Don't tell me he's lost his memory!" I move closer to his room, "I really have to see him!"

She rolls her eyes, "Wait here."

As soon as she walks off I sneak into the room anyway, finding Vin reclined in bed, a string of tubes coming from his body. I know from experience that most of them are monitoring his vitals, but my heart still breaks at the sight of him. I burst into long held tears, unable to cope with my relief.

"Oh my God, Baby Girl," his voice shocks me, "Its okay. I'm not dead. I'm still here to piss you off."

I pull up a seat next to his bed and take his hand, "You scared the shit out of me. What the fuck is wrong with you!"

"Oh, I'm sorry," he teases, "I'll make sure not to upset you with my being shot next time."

"This isn't funny!" I hit him, but not too hard, "I was terrified I'd lost you. What the fuck were you even doing to get shot?"