Epilogue: no chance

KJ's POV

I wake up before her and quietly exit the room quietly before heading downstairs and outside. I recline onto the lawn, the cool morning dew permeating through my clothes. I close my eyes, relishing in the sweet feeling of the ring on my finger, a light weight somehow  tethering me to the earth.  I never really was much for jewelry, let alone rings, but now I never want to take this one off.

I watch the sun creep its way into the sky, as dawn chases away the night. Once the sun is shining I get back up and head inside, finding Layne at the kitchen table, sipping a cup of coffee, another one adjacent to her, for me. I kiss her on the cheek and take a seat, "Morning, baby."

"Morning," she stares into the bottom of her coffee and my heart races as panic sets in.

"What's wrong?" I enter problem solving mode, "What did I do? How can I fix it?"

She snaps out of it and chuckles, "It's not you... This time."

I exhale in relief, "What is it then?"

She produces a coin and places it on the table, "Fifty percent of all marriages end in divorce. That's a fucking coin flip, KJ? Doesn't that scare you?"

"Are you serious?" I stare into her honey brown eyes and see that yes she is.

I stick out my hand, "Give me the coin."

She places the coin into my hand, "Heads or tails?"

"Heads we break up," she swallows, "Tails we stay together."

"Ok, bet," I toss the coin and catch it, before tossing it out the open kitchen window.

"KJ!"

I shrug, "Oh wow, guess the world may never know."

"Go get it!" she yells, "That nickel was special!"

"I thought it was a quarter?"

"It was Canadian! I've literally always had it!" she lowers her voice, "It's from my dad. It's my lucky coin."

"Real shit?" I turn to her and see that's she's completely serious, "Okay. I'll go find it."

I head back outside and begin my intensive search of the yard, first pacing it back and forth, then dropping on my hands and knees until the heat is too much and I collapse from exhaustion.

"Kaylie Jane!" Layne kneels next to me, rubbing my back, "You okay, Baby? Come inside," I sit up and she hands me a water bottle full of lemonade, "Any luck?"

"No," I groan as I collaspe in a kitchen chair, "Can I stop yet?"

She gets a towel and takes her favorite spot on my lap, straddling me. She wipes the sweat from my brow and face and neck before handing me a sandwich, "Nope."

"Why not?" I whine. She leans in and places a gentle kiss on my neck, "Did you like what we did last night?"

"Mmhm," I swallow and nod. God I'm weak...

"Well," she pulls away, "Then you'll find my fucking coin if you want it to happen again, mmkay? Finish eating."

"Thanks for the pep talk," I murmur, taking another bite of sandwich. She kisses my cheek and removes herself from my lap, "Love you, Baby."

I finish my lunch before heading back out to continue my search. I scour the grass once more, the sun beginning to set on the day, but also any chance of me getting laid ever again. That coin is gone. And so is my sex life. Great job, KJ. A1 wife material.

I approach the kitchen window, reading to be chewed alive by my wife, but am stopped by a glimmer that catches my eye. No fucking way. Lodged in between the sill and window screen is that damn coin. Fucking A!

"Bless," I grab the coin and head back inside in search of my wife. I find her laying in bed, reading.

"Here!" I place the coin on her nightstand and start to lay down, before Layne catches me, "Nope! You need a shower."

"You have to be kidding me," I complain, "I'm tired, Layne!"

"You aren't getting in bed like that!" she insists, "You smell like outside."

I huff and puff my way to the bathroom, carelessly throwing my clothes off on my way. The water admittedly feels great as I shower off today's struggle. When I finally get out, a clean towel and change of clothes are waiting for me on the counter. How is my wife both the worst and best?

I change and head back into the bedroom, "Permission to lay down?"

She opens her arms wide for me, "Yes my love."

I collaspe on my half of the bed, rolling over, resting my head in her lap. She plays in my hair, causing me great comfort. I could lay here for years and never get tired of it. My eyes start to droop from exhaustion when I hear her voice.

"KJ?"

"Yes ma'am?" I answer, already half asleep.

"What did the coin say?"

"What?"

"When you found it?" she elaborates, "What side did it land on?"

"Tails," I respond without missing a beat.

"Okay good." She's quiet again for a minute speaking again, "Would you have told me if it was heads?"

"Not a chance in hell," I mumble.

She produces a relieved laugh, "I love you, Kaylie Jane."

"I love you too, baby."