no lies

Dear Kaylie Jane,

    I wish you would've been out when I met you....

KJ's POV

Like predicted, after my fall I start to progress more rapidly. We go around the rink a couple more times, her holding onto me a little less tight each time. Eventually, I become mobile enough to just simply skate next to her, no crutch needed. By then, the place is packed with even more kids, and I exit the rink, heading to the concession stand.

"Want anything?" I offer Layne. She's behind me, her eyes transfixed on the churning slushies machine. "Layne?"

She shakes her head, still I find myself buying her a blue slushie along with my cheese sticks and long island tea.

We take a seat at one of the tables and she steals a cheese stick from my plate. "I thought you didn't want anything?" I tease.

"Consider it payment," she bites into the fried cheese, pulling it and letting it string.

"Thought you were paying me back?" I question, taking a sip of my drink.

"You're currently reaping the benefits of my company," she shrugs, "So now, I'd say we're even."

"Oh is that right?"

"Yes ma'am," she smirks, flashing me a set of blue tinged teeth, Unless you want something a little extra?"

I laugh awkwardly, "No, no--- Your company is enough."

"I was talking about telling you a story, pervert," she laughs, "This place is special. Didn't you notice that there's no name for it?"

"I guess," I did now that she mentioned it, but I didn't notice I'd noticed.

"My brother, Dil, was the first to bring me here. He moved in with us when he was thirteen we'd steal our dad's truck and drive here in the dead of night. He'd give me enough money for skates and food and then he'd disappear with his guy of the week. Later he told me it's a notorious queer hang out. See, look?"

I do another sweep of the room and notice that many of the couples are queer or otherwise wouldn't fit in with the typical crowd.

She continues, "It's a safe haven for all the outcasts. Nobody really knows what it's called or who opened it. It doesn't have a name. Local kids call it 'Skate Haven' or you'll here 'Gay Central' a lot. It's like it just came out of nowhere though."

"That's interesting," I reply, "Is this how y'all country kids get your gay out?"

She laughs, "I guess. But it's more about being yourself than anything else."

I nod and Layne snatches another cheese stick from me. "Hey!"

"You're letting them get cold!"

The drive back home is easier than the one back, but then again that might just be the liquor talking. I was now on my third drink, a Jack and Coke.

"Did you have fun?" she asks.

"Surprisingly yes," I lean further into my seat, relaxed.

"You don't expect to have fun with me?" she slides back into it's typical flirts, "I expect to have fun with you."

"I'd expect to have fun with me too," I reply.

"Is that your attempt at a joke, Jane?"

I find myself staring at her lips, considering how sweet they would taste. "I guess it is," I laugh again.

When we reach the house, Layne invites herself in. I head to the kitchen and take another three shots, just for good measure. It's a nice night, so I automatically find myself in the backyard. I recline onto the lawn, taking in the stars.