no going back

KJ's POV

I sit outside the airport in the pick up line. Seven years ago we first met. One year ago I proposed. Eight months ago we bought our first home. 

And in less than forty eight hours I'll be marrying her, the love of my life.

Alayna Grace Sinclair.

My phone rings and I answer it without checking the called ID. I already know it's her, "Hi, Baby."

"I miss you," Layne says for the hundredth time today.

"I know, Baby," I respond for the hundredth time as well. 

"You don't sound like it," her voice is soft.

I raise my voice to a higher octave, "Of course I miss you. So so much."

"I hate you," she detects my sarcasm, "I haven't seen you in three days! And this is how you treat me?"

"We live together," I remind her, "You've seen me every morning the last ten months."

"Okay," she pauses, "But I haven't seen you though."

"What--"

"Let me make myself clearer," she cuts me off, "I haven't seen you naked in three days. I haven't touched you. I haven't kissed you. I miss f---"

"OKAY!" I cut her off, "I get it. I get it."

"Is my baby embarrassed?" she teases, "Am I making you hot?"

"Shut up," I mumble. In preparation for our wedding, Layne and I had agreed to stop sleeping with each other for the week leading up to it. I'm handling it, but I can see the affect it's having on Layne.

"You have two days left," I remind her, "Calm down."

"Fuck that," she says loudly, causing me to jump, "I want to stay ready for you."

"Layne," I warn her. I swallow, my mouth dry. I'm not as stressed as Layne. But I'm still stressed. After all, my fiancee is beautiful.

"What? Am I getting to you?" she taunts me, "You're picturing me naked right?"

"I wasn't but now I am," I can't help but reply honestly. For a moment I forget that I'm in my truck and let her voice carry me away.

"Are you?" she lowers her voice to a sultry tone, "What are you thinking about? My soft titties... My sweet lips... My tattoo... You know how you like to kiss it?"

There's a thud on my car window and I jump, pulled from my trance like state. Fuck.

I turn to see Nat's face pressed against the glass, "Biiiittttcchhh!" 

"I have to go, Baby. Love you," I hang up and get out the car, a light breeze cooling off my hot skin.

"Biiiittttcchhh!" I greet my best friend of damn near two decades with open arms. Nat hugs me, patting me on the back.

"Look at you," she pulls away, holding me at arms length, "About to be married and shit."

I take in my best friend. She'd shaved her head entirely, her dark waves replaced with a bleached low-cut.

I grab her bags I toss them into my truckbed while she gets comfortable inside.

"Are you ready?" I get back in, putting the car in drive, while she plays with the stereo.

"God no," I laugh, "I'm a mess."

Layne and I's year together had flown by. It was a mess and we fought but somehow we'd made it, and now the day is around the corner.