no denying

Layne's POV

Five... Four... Three... Two... One...

I wait for Kaylie Jane's door to slam before pulling myself off the ground. Was it the best idea to jump her? Probably not. Did I regret it?

Probably not.

I head upstairs behind her, falling into a fitful sleep. Even though I with the confidence I'd do it again, I was worried about what would happen to me in the morning. Kaylie Jane is so unpredictable and moody. Sometimes she's my best friend. Sometimes I think she's trying to be the death of me. There was no telling what KJ would roll out of bed tomorrow. She could very well put me out. And then what? I'd be homeless because I have the libido of a high school teenager and the will power of an ADHD patient off Adderall.

I come down for breakfast the morning after to the smell of fresh bread and bacon. Still, I don't relax.

"Morning," she greets me, pretending nothing's happened, per her usual.

I tentatively take a seat at the table and she slides me a plate before taking a seat across from me.

"Looks good," I compliment her, testing the waters.

"Thanks," she takes a bite of bacon.

"How was your date last night?" I ask, attempting to make small talk.

She chuckles, "I thought you're supposed to ask me that before shoving your tongue down my throat."

"Not in my book," I take another bite of toast.

"It was fine. The date I mean," she replies.

"I assume you're not going out with her again?" I wish that didn't come out as threatening as it did.

"We um... We decided we'd be better as friends," she clears her throat, "She decided, I mean."

Right. We finish eating in silence before KJ gets up and starts cleaning up. She's really going to pretend nothing happened? She even has the nerve to hum as she cleans. Suddenly I'm hit with a wave of irritability. I watch her, drumming my fingers on the table, resisting the urge to choke her out.

Actually--- I'm not irritated--- I'm frustrated. And possibly beyond frustrated. She isn't even doing anything and I'm ready to jump her. But I'm also ready to choke her out. I'm tired of waiting.

KJ senses I haven't left, and asks, "Is something wrong?"

"Yeah," I silently stand up, "I can't keep pretending, Kaylie Jane."

"Don't tell me you're thinking about last night," she says, still not turning to face me.

"Don't try to tell me you're not," I push back, moving closer.

She chuckles, "You were drunk," she explains away.

I shake my head, "Not that drunk," I step up behind her, "How long are you gonna keep this up?" I ask.

She jumps, forever surprised by my proximity, "Keep up what?"

"Keep. Fighting. Me," she turns around and I step even closer, leaving her no personal space, "I want you. And you want me. But you are insisting on playing games. Only, I don't play games, KJ. And I certainly don't play games with other people's kids."

"I--" she opens her mouth to either lie to me  or get smart, but I cut her off by putting two of my fingers into her mouth. "Sssssshhhh."

I slowly pull my fingers from her lips as she closes her eyes and lightly sucks on them. Fuck. My heart stops for a minute as we lock eyes, "You ready to stop playing games?"