no guidance

KJ's POV

I wake up early, more rested than ever. I'm caught off guard by how rested I feel, then I realize why. Her. For a moment I felt like I was back in high school. I don't need this right now. God, it felt so right... But also so, so wrong.

I slide out of bed, careful not to wake Layne, but also desperate to get away from her. I shower quickly and then get dressed, leaving before Layne has a chance to notice I'm gone.

Even though I'm not really tired, I drive to Starbucks, having a few minutes before I have to get to work.

"Hey," I approach the cashier and she smiles at me, immediately. She brushes a piece of her cropped, bleached, hair from her eyes. I glance at her name tag. Blair.

"Welcome to Starbucks what can I get you?" she greets me.

"Well, Blair, lemme get uh----" I glance out the board, even though I order the same thing every time. As my eyes scroll back down, I meet hers. She's clearly wearing colored contacts, her eyes a cool purple. She's kind of cute, "Vanilla frappicino with a shot of toffee. Oh and a whatever your favorite pastry is."

She rings me out for a cheese danish and tells me my total. I hand her my Starbucks gold card, earned through years and years of me succumbing to my inner white girl. She pauses to read my card, "KJ? Is that short for anything?"

"It might be," I tease. She swipes my card and hands it back to me along with my receipt.

"I start to walk away but she stops me. "Hey!"

She holds out my pastry, risking a glance at my cleavage, "Don't you wanna know what you can get me?"

I smirk, having caught her, "And what's that?"

"Your number," she smirks, "It's only fair since you've got mine."

I glance at the pastry bag, and see that her number is indeed on mine. I hand her one of my business cards, "Pleasure to meet you, Ms. Blair."

She blushes, "The pleasure is all mine."

My drink is ready and I grab it, getting into my car. I'm typing in the coffee girl's number when my phone rings. I answer.

"Hello?"

"Baby Girl," Vin answers, "How are you?"

Suddenly it feels like he's been gone years, not just a couple of days, "God, I miss you." I don't realize how much I do until I say so, "How's Colorado?"

"You know how it goes," he responds vaguely, "You?"

"Um... Layne's moved in for a little," I say, "And no--- we still aren't fucking."

"I didn't think y'all were," he replies, "But thanks for planting those seeds of suspicion."

"I'm not suspicious," I resort to my de-facto joking, "You are. Fucking drug dealer."

"Damn closet lesbian," he quips back. We both laugh and then go silent.

"Baby girl?"

"Yeah?"

"You're good right? Mentally and all that good shit?" 

"Yeah I'm good," I reply, somewhat honestly. Recently it's been depending on what day it is.

"And the nightmares and everything?"

"I'm working through it," I change the subject, "Layne's not as good in bed as you though."

"Cute," he chuckles, "So y'all are't fucking but she's in your bed? That's like what? Sexually frustrated cohabiting?"

"Doesn't cohabiting imply we're having sex already?"