no tea no shade

KJ's POV

I sit in my office for a minute, wondering if I should go after her or not. Before I can decide my phone rings and I answer it. "Hello?"

"I just got a break," Wren's voice rings over the speaker, "You still up for coffee?"

Fuck no. "Yeah, where are you at?" I reply.

She gives me directions to a Starbucks about ten minutes from me and I head out, making sure my door is still locks before I leave. God, these kids...

I arrive before Wren and take the time to order myself something to drink. It's a nice day, so I find a seat outside, hoping that the sun will do me some good.

"Well, well," I recognize her voice before I recognize her. She's gotten thicker over the years, and somehow hotter. However, unlike when we were kids, I don't want to crumble at her feet. None of the emotions I'd fought in high school plague me. I kind of hate her, actually.

"Hey," I offer her my hand and she pulls me in for a hug.

"You got hot, Parker," she smiles, taking me in, "I like the hair."

"Thanks," I impulsively run a hand through it, "And um it's Michaels, now. You look good too."

"I'll go get something to drink and we'll catch up," she walks away and I feel a wave of regret hit me over the head. Why would I sleep with her?

I still remember how I got put out of college. Put out of my dad's. How Layne woke up. And Dil rejected me. And she welcomed me into her arms. It was a one night stand the night before I left for Cali and up until now I'd vowed to never speak to her again.

I shake my head, chasing the thought away.

Wren returns, taking a seat, "So how have you been?"

"Good," I reply, more out of habit than anything else, "I'm a counselor now."

"That's good. It's a couple steps out from college drop out, alcoholic," she laughs at her own joke.

"Ha, yeah," I force a laugh, "What's up with you? Are you still in culinary?"

"Yes ma'am," she nods, pleased with herself. That said, I already knew she was still in culinary. Even when I left St. Louis and ghosted everyone, I still researched just about everyone I graduated NCT with. Most of them had odd and end jobs, a couple like me left culinary entirely, but Wren Davis? Wren Davis was crushing it. After graduation she'd been offered a number of jobs almost immediately, and was currently climbing her way to five star chef status.

"I need a favor," I exhale. She reaches for my hand, "What is it?"

"I have a friend who needs a job," I begin.

"Is this about Layne?" she guesses without pause.

"What makes you say that?" I get defensive.

"It is isn't it?" She mock laughs, "You're still wrapped around her finger. Just like when we were kids."

"We're just friends now," I reply.

"No one said you were more than friends," she shrugs, "But since you brought it up, you obviously are more than friends," she laughs, "Your hair is just about the only thing that's changed you. And your style."

We stare at each other, her eyes challenging me to say something.

"Are you gonna help me or not?" I say. It's already been a day. I'm not in the mood for her either. 

"Sure," she agrees, surprisingly.

"Really? That's it?"

"Oh, Kaylie Jane," she rubs my hand tenderly, "What did you expect? Me to use you for sex in repayment? KJ I'm a businesswoman now. And we do need new people. So send her in for an interview, and if she's good, she gets the job. Simple."