no bullshit

Dear Kaylie Jane,

        "You've got the devil is inside you." That's what my dad would've said if he ever met you.

KJ's POV

I spend my morning at my desk scouring internet resources on how to cure mutism, knowing that there isn't immediate cure for any trauma, especially when it's sexual. After my encounter with Layne, I never got to sleep, so I came into work early instead.

I didn't get home until around one in the morning, but even absolutely exhausted I couldn't rest. After Layne collapsed, I took her home, depositing her at her door, banging on the door, and taking off. I didn't know what else to do. I couldn't risk having Dil see me. I didn't need him chewing me out.

Even after all these years, I can still hear his nasty words to me.

"She doesn't need to remember you, KJ! I hope she never does!"

There's a knock and I glance up, seeing Vin toting a brown bag radiating deliciousness. "Hey."

"Hey," he enters and closes the door behind him, "You didn't come home last night? I figured I'd bring you breakfast."

I stand and kiss him, "Thank you. And I came home but I couldn't sleep so I decided to come in earlier."

His brow creases with worry, "Is everything okay?"

Nowhere close. "Yeah I'm fine," I lie, "Just... The usual stuff I guess." I change the subject, "What's in the bag?"

He pulls out a breakfast sandwich from a bakery near by, "There's sausage and there's bacon."

"Sausage," he hands me the parchment wrapped bundle and I bite into the warm sandwich. "It's delicious. Thanks Kid."

He smirks, "Cause we all know you like sausage."

We eat together and then afterwards he asks if I want to take a walk with him. Lately, I haven't seen as much of him, so I agree, first checking with Ms. Lea. 

He takes my hand and we walk side by side down the block, cracked with grass grown in between. Part of my childhood took place in parts of the city like this, and some in the totally opposite culture of the county.

"It's okay if you slept with her," Vin interrupts my thoughts and I stumble a step.

"What?"

"Are you sleeping with Layne?" he restates his question.

"Of course not," I take my hand back from him, "Vin she doesn't even know who I am."

"Then why was she on our front door step?"

"BECAUSE WE LIVE IN HER HOUSE," I get louder than I mean to and reel myself back in, "Vin if I was going to cheat---"

"We aren't together," he stops me before I can finish. "You can't cheat on me cause we aren't together."

"Whatever," I continue, "If I was ever going to take on other sexual partners that aren't you, girl or boy, I'd tell you. You know me. I'm not about being on bullshit."

He scoffs, "Actually, you're a magnet to bullshit. It follows you wherever you go?"

"I try not to be though. The only sex I'm getting is from you, Vinson Matthews. Okay?"

He exhales, "Sorry. I believe you."

We walk back to the house and he follows me into my office, grabbing me and pushing me against the door, kissing my passionately. "Oh my God... Vin..."