ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ

I sat there in the darkness of the living room at Coles house attempting to drink away the pain. My laptop rested on the coffee table in front of us acting as the only source of light.

I was supposed to be looking over a shipment that will be arriving tomorrow but when I looked at my phone I saw it was four in the morning. It was December 20th which meant that today would've been max's fifteenth birthday. I slowly tried to wipe the tears that fell down my face but like a storm more just came down. I took another sip of the vodka in my hands. Cole sat next to me with a beer in his hands.

"Happy birthday little brother! Would you look at me now, I'm so much like dad." I spoke as I raised the bottle of vodka taking another swig.

"Why can't it always be this quite?" I slurred out with the tears profusely falling down my cheeks. Cole just chuckled and leaned back against the couch.

"Get some sleep Skylar it's not healthy that you're not sleeping especially since you're a little drunk. I'm going to sleep goodnight." He said softly as he pecked a kiss on my forehead and got up with the beer still in his hands as he left.

Once again my thoughts and feelings consumed me.

No one will ever know the guilt I feel for everything. In what world would I think I would have a perfect little life with my family. To see my younger brothers over the holidays while I spend the rest in school trying to make a living for myself. It's what I wanted to happen but it obviously didn't.

I swatted the laptop close and walked up and left it there on the couch and slowly trailed to the room I was staying in. I open the door and walk in and see Jack curled up in the right side of the bed. A small smile forms at the edge of my mouth as I look at him. He's so little and has such a pure heart. I don't think he could even hurt a fly but I can and way more then just killing a lousy fly. I'd rather have others blood on my hands then his blood on mine. I tossed the glock in the drawer and made sure I closed it.

I lay in bed wide awake as the time passes by not even catching a wink of sleep.

As the sun rolled in brighting the whole room I grabbed the gun and tucked it into the waist band of my leggings. I throw my hair up into a messy bun and change into a sports bra from the corner of the mirror I saw Jack start stirring around in his bed. I walked to him and slowly pulled the covers over him again. I quietly close the door behind me and head towards the kitchen. I saw Cole walking around the kitchen shirtless. I rolled my eyes and headed to him.

"Morning sunshine." Cole said as he loaded a new magazine into a glock.

"Whats with you and the gun? Does someone have something planed that I was not told about?" I said as I stood next to him.

"Actually we do. Who's up for a little mischief?" he said with a sly smirk as he tucked the gun into the waist band of his boxers.

"Of course Cole but just let me throw on a shirt and we can leave. I'll find someone to watch over Jack." i said with a smile kissing him on the cheek

-----------------------

We sped down the street in a bright red Ferrari. People honking at us as Cole gripped the steering wheel and sig zagged through the cars. I looked down at Coles phone seeing an unknown number light up the screen.

"Answer the damn phone and tell them I'm busy. " he said in an annoyed tone since I left the phone ringing.

I answered the phone and quickly put it to my ear. The voice of someone familiar. I could exactly remember whose but it was a male with a deep voice. I put it on speaker as the man started talking. Thats when it clicked, it was the leader of the cobras.

"All right you shit head you killed my entire family!I'm not gonna spare your little whore Skylar this time." The man blared out in a beyond angry tone.

I looked over at Cole and smirked at him "You know now I'm glad Cole killed Phoenix and the rest of your stupid ass family. It's an eye for an eye. You don't fuck with the Italian mafia because we're not scared of your little gang or whatever the hell you are." I said.

He stayed silent for a while I had to check if he was even still there "Darling stay out of a mans business and go clean up everyones' mess. You realize its easier to get into your so called safe zone then you think."

I looked at Cole in utter fear. His hand that rested on my thigh was soon off and he snatched the phone out of my hand.

"I'll fucking kill you too just like the rest of your family.You should have seen your wife's expression as I slit your kids throat right in front of her very eyes." Cole spit out .

I grabbed the phone out of his hand and hung up then threw it out the window. I felt a sharp pain threw my head as it slammed against the window. My vision was blurry but I looked over and saw Cole turn around real quick and sped off. I touched my head and felt something warm and thats when in the rear view mirror I saw someone hot on our tail.

My head hung out of the window as I fired the gun. Shot after shot until finally I hit the driver and they swung into the divider in the road. We sped off as we soon saw police arrive to the scene.

We arrived back to Coles house and it was dead silent. Then out of know where I felt I hand go around my neck holding me back I let out a scream but it was soon by a muffled by a cloth being put over my mouth. My eyes slowly felt heavier until all I saw was black. The very last thing I saw was Cole trying to fight the man with a black mask as he held Cole in a tight headlock. I remember him screaming at him and that it.

For what happened after that was mystery well for now...

---------

Authors note

Ahh please don't kill me for the cliffhanger. Everything will be explaine in the next chapter I wrote the overview for the next chapter so I know what the focus and oh my I have a lot planned so stay tuned

-Liz