2-on a mission

There are things that occur in life that just don't make a bit of sense. Like how people use to think the world was flat. Or how people thought the joke about the chicken crossing road was the most puzzling thing ever. What about when our parents tell us that when we do something bad, we should already know that it is wrong before we commit the crime.

For example: when I was seven my little brother Carter was sitting on top of the slide of the playground we use to have and I had wanted to go down the slide so I climbed up to the top and pushed him down it. He face planted in the sand. I got in trouble by my parents, they told me that it wasn't nice of me to do that to my three year old brother. In my defense my older brother, Xander, had dared me to do it. I told my parents that I was only doing what Xander told me to do. My parents then sat me down and explained to me that I should of listened to my conscious. Being seven I had know idea what that word meant, and after they told me what it meant I, being the sassy kid I was, said I had no conscious. Mom and dad did not find that cute one bit. As punishment, Xander and I got put into a corner to think about what we had done while Carter got ice cream. It was unfair.

Right now my conscious was trying to stop me from doing something that was considered dangerous and idiotic. But I couldn't help it. I needed answers.

All weekend I thought about, what happened on Friday night. I didn't give a damn about Johnny. His motives were clear. Nick Ross, on the other hand, was an unclear image. A guy who avoids contact with the entire school doesn't just come out of the darkness like Batman to save a girl he doesn't even know. I haven't heard much about him, all I know is that he is someone you don't want to get on his bad side. Well, that is the rumor that flows through the school. I wanted to know why he was there at the school that late. From what I knew, he hated this place just as much as every other student here. I also wanted to know why he decided to be a hero. But mostly I wanted to give him my thanks, he deserved that much.

I currently had a lunch period and I was going to spend it searching for a guy who seemed to stay hidden. Come to think of it, I have never seen Nick in the halls, not even at a locker. Mr.Mysterious did an excellent job of staying away from everyone. I don't blame him, it isn't fun being well know through out the school. Nick was doing the smart thing. He transferred here during sophomore year and was immediately labeled as a bad boy. I suppose several popular guys tried to recruit him but he declined every invitation, so he quickly became an outcast.

Attending a Prep School we were all expected to have a certain image. This school was going to prepare us for college. We weren't that different from a public school, we had the same clicks, we just had better teachers. I remember asking my parents before entering the school why I had to attend a Prep school, they told me that the education was better. I couldn't argue with that. My older brother Xander went to this school and he isn't exactly the brightest crayon in the box. But intelligence had nothing to do with his acceptance into college, he got in on a football scholarship. So I guess this school does have its perks.

"Hey, you ready to head to the cafeteria?" Lacey popped up next to me, giving me a slight scare.

"Um no, I have a paper in English to work on so my lunch period will be spent in the library doing research." I lied. I hadn't told Lacey or anyone about what went down in the parking lot Friday night so she didn't need to know why I was planning on searching for Nick Ross.

"Oh alright, do you want me to tag along?" Lacey asked.

"No that's okay. Enjoy your lunch and if I get finished before the end of lunch I will join you." I lie again. There was no way I would find Nick Ross before the end of lunch.

"Sounds good. Text me if you need company." Lacey offers and I nod. Lacey then spins on her heels and heads to the cafeteria. I let out a breath and start my task.