29-cheesecake

School started back a few days after New Years Eve and I was already swamped with school work. I'm pretty sure teachers get a kick out of seeing their students stressed out. I really don't like them and I made it known when I gave them a scowl instead of a smile when they greeted me coming into their classrooms. Don't judge me, I saw other students do it as well.

In addition to school starting back, cheer practice started back as well. I was pumped, I finally had something to do other than going home. Anytime I was out practicing I noticed a certain brown haired boy standing around the parking lot. I haven't seen Nick in the halls like I did before break, I suppose he was back to using whatever secret passage to get to and from class.

One day I found myself standing outside the AV room ready to knock but I chickened out. I was finding it very difficult to face him. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to talk to him but I had no clue how to start. Did I owe him an apology? Or do I just strike up a random conversation like we used to do? Lacey told me to grow some balls and talk to him but clearly I wasn't succeeding.

It was now Friday of the second week back and I was at Tyson's trying get some down time. The past few weeks have been draining and I just needed some alone time. And I was hoping to see Nick come in. I was fully aware I was bordering on stalker but I couldn't help it. I wanted to see him even if it was just a glance. One glance can turn into so much hope.

I have been sitting at a booth in the corner for over an hour now and the one time I look up is the one time I get scared the shit out of. I practically jump in my seat when I see Catherine Barron standing there with a confused look and holding a box.

"Catherine." I say taking out my ear buds.

"Hi. I've been trying to get your attention but I can see why you didn't hear me. Those wireless ear buds are sneaky little boogers." She laughs.

"Oh. Yeah." I chuckle.

"Can I sit?" She asks pointing to the empty seat on the other side of the booth.

"Umm..." I mumble and look around for anyone else who might be with her.

"Nick isn't here. Just me." She answers my thought.

"Oh. I wasn't looking." I lie scratching my forehead.

Catherine chuckles lightly, "Yeah you were." I sigh. "You listen to music while you read?" She asks.

"Yes. Classical music. Helps me focus." I correct.

"I see. You would need complete focus while reading Moby Dick. Was that your choice or your teacher's?" She quirks a brow.

"Teacher. Before the break he assigned each of her classes a book to read and do a report on over the break. Mine got Moby Dick." I explain.

Catherine lets out a whistle, "Wow. But why are you still reading it? Your break is over."

"None of us did the assignment. As punishment, my teacher is doing a lesson on the book and all of us have to read out loud in class then do a report on it." I say.

"Okay. Why are you reading outside of school if you are reading it in class?" She questions in amusement.

"The first five kids who finish the book and turn in their report gets a free pass from class. I'm hoping to be one of them. I can't take another day of the reading a loud. It puts me to sleep." I laugh. If I sleep in class then I won't sleep at night, then I am tired during the day. Its a repetitive cycle.

"Well good luck to you." She smiles.

"Thanks. Um...what are you doing her by yourself?" I ask curiously.