24-don't leave me

-Nick-

I was busy wrapping gifts, that was what my Thursday consisted of. I was always a last minute shopper whether it be for Christmas or a birthday I was the one at the mall buying whatever gift they hadn't sold out of yet. My mom scolded me every time I told her I had to pick up a gift. You think eighteen years of hearing it I would learn my lesson but I haven't yet. Plus it gives my mom an excuse to scold me for something. She's already so sentimental about me graduating and leaving her next year. So I tend to throw her a bone when I know she needs to be let known that I may be eighteen but I do still need her from time to time.

I was cursing myself through out the entire wrapping process. I bought three presents for each of my family members and one of each for my friends. I had a lot to wrap and no help. At one point I texted Taylor and asked if I could recruit her into helping me but I never heard back. Ever since she spent the day sledding with us she's been a little distant and I have no idea why. Any time I tried to ask she clams up. I was concerned about her. So concerned that I asked Lacey for advice but she did the exact same thing Taylor did. Best friends think alike, I guess.

"Is it safe for me to come down?" I heard my dad ask from the top of the stairs.

"Yep, I've already got yours wrapped." I reply.

My dad makes his way down the stairs and sits on the couch, "How is it going?"

I sigh and run a hand through my hair in frustration, "I'm over it and I only have four more to wrap. Next year I'm buying gift bags."

Dad chuckles at my frustration, "Let me help." He suggests as he gets down on the floor beside me.

"Thanks." I say then hand him a gift, "This is for Catherine." I tell him so he will know who to make the name tag out to.

"You got her perfume?" Dad asks with curiosity.

I know what he is thinking, I just roll my eyes, "Charlie picked it out."

"Oh." He nods. "Did you get a gift for another girl?" He asks.

"Uh...yeah, Micah. Catherine picked that one out." I inform. My friends and I always get each other gifts for Christmas. The tradition started when we were in eight grade. So it's natural for me to get Micah and Catherine a gift.

"What about the girl who came to the house a few weeks ago?" He brings up Taylor and I feel my heart beat pick up.

"Taylor. She and I aren't that great of friends. This is a tradition between my friends and I." I shrug.

"True. However, if you like a girl, you should get her a gift. That way she will know how you feel." Dad says.

"Umm...dad. I don't like Taylor like that." I scoff.

"You two would have kissed if your mom and I didn't come home. Right?" He smirks.

I nod my head. Dad is completely right. We would have kissed. "She's been acting a little distant here lately. I don't know why." I exhale.

Dad gets up after he finishes the two gifts I gave him, "Every one puts a mask on. Especially when something tragic has happened. If she isn't telling you then it is probably for your own good." He finishes and pats me on the shoulder.

What my dad said has me wondering, "Do you know something I should know?" I ask.

"It isn't my place to say." Dad says as he goes back upstairs.

Great. My dad knows what is bothering Taylor and he barely knows her. How the hell is that even possible?

I groan and lay down on the floor with my arm over my eyes. There is no point in asking cheerleader she won't tell me, neither will Lacey. I know I could ask any number of people from school but I don't think it would be a good idea. Kids have the tendency to lie and embellish the truth. Who knows if what they tell is the truth or a story they've made up in their heads.