21- almosts

We were so close to leaning in. So close to kissing. So very close to entering the territory of being confused as to where we would be standing if we actually had kissed.

As soon as we heard the female voice say Nick's name we jumped apart fast. Nick got up off of the couch, walked over to his dresser and pulled out a white t-shirt to go with his black sweat pants. The shirt did nothing but good things for his appearance.

The footsteps coming down the stairs got louder and louder as they reached the bottom. A woman with dirty blonde hair pulled up into a neat pony tail with blue eyes and a very cute dress on. This had to be Nick's mother.

"Nick, honey." She gives him a warm smile.

"Hey mom." He greets her with a slight shake in his voice. Good. I'm not the only one still reeling from what almost happened.

Mrs.Ross glances from her son to me -the girl standing in her sons bedroom with what I'm sure is a face as red as a tomato.

"Your father told me you had a friend over." She mentions.

"Yes. Mom this is che- I mean Taylor. She's a friend from school." Nick explains to his mom. I try to hide my smile when Nick almost slips and calls me cheerleader. I unfortunately don't miss the way mt heart flutters when he says my actual name.

"Mrs.Ross, it is nice to meet you." I say as politely as I can manage.

"You as well. You're the first of Nick's friends I have met from Kennedy Prep. I was starting to think he hadn't made any friends in the two years he's been there." She says with a slight concern for her child not making friends.

"Well, he has at least one." I laugh nervously and play with my bracelet.

"It is lovely to meet you." Mrs.Ross says with a smile and I return one.

Nick clears his throat, "Um...did you need something?"

Mrs.Ross eyes light up, "Actually yes. Your father and I have a few friends from college in and they invited us to dinner. Are you staying in tonight?"

"Yeah I am." Nick tells his mom.

"Would you mind watching your sisters?" She asks.

"No problem." Nick nods with a slight smile. Something tells me he likes spending time with his younger siblings.

"Oh thank you sweetie." She says and gives him a hug. Wow.

"I better be going." I inform the two.

"You know Taylor, the girls might prefer your company rather than their brother's. You are welcome to stay and give Nick a hand." Mrs.Ross suggests.

I look between Nick and his mom. I had no idea how to get out of this. Did Nick want me to stay and meet his younger sisters or did he prefer I leave? He already made it clear he wasn't mad at me for last night but people can change their minds in the blink of an eye. Especially after we almost kissed.

Nick and his mom were both waiting for me to give an answer. "I would love to but I need to call my parents to make sure it's alright with them." I say as an excuse.

"Of course. Nick come upstairs, your dad and I will be leaving soon." She orders her son.

"I'll be up in a minute." He tells her as she goes up the stairs. The door clicks shut and now we are completely alone once again.

"I can leave if you want." I whisper.

Nick scrunches his eyebrows in confusion, "Why? You heard my mom, my sisters would prefer you over me. You are a girl."