10-hide outs

On Wednesday around lunch time I found myself standing in front of a random door on second floor of the school. Instead of eating in the cafeteria with my friends, I chose to humor Nick and follow his instructions of him telling me to meet him here.

Nick and I had agreed to get to know one another for no specific reason at all. We both have been judging the other from what rumors we had heard, so this was an opportunity to change things. I was nervous to say the least. I have never been good with making new friends. If it weren't for Lacey, I would be a loner like my brother Carter.

I take a deep breath and prepare myself to knock on the door. I bring my left hand up to knock a few times and soon after I hear a "come in" I hope that was Nick and not some stranger.

I walk into the room and see Nick sitting at a random desk on his phone.

He looks up to see me, "Well look who finally shows up." He grunts.

Wow, he is so mannerly.

I hold up my container of salad, "I had to get food."

"So did I, but I didn't take my sweet time." He counters. "Anyways, have a seat." He points to an empty seat across from him.

I gently sit down on the chair and sit my salad on the table along with a bottle of water and my phone. I nervously play with my bracelet, "What is the room?"

"The AV club uses it." He replies after swallowing his bite of pizza.

I nod my head in understanding, "And how do you have a key to it?"

"Last year I paid a senior to make me a key. He said he only did it so I wouldn't beat him up. I told him repeatedly that I wasn't going to." He laughs.

"I thought you ate by the big tree near the field?" I ask confused.

"I usually do. But when it is cold or raining I eat in here." He explains.

"You could eat in the cafeteria like a normal student." I quickly put face palm myself after realizing I said that out loud. "I'm sorry." I mutter and look down.

Nick chuckles, "You think every little thing you say is going to offend me. It doesn't."

Once again I nod and decide to shut my mouth and eat my salad.

Nick and I eat in silence for a while, both of us just scrolling through our phones.

"Did you tell your friend where you were going?" Nick suddenly asks.

I look up from my food, "Yep. She hangs out with Logan and I don't mind. So I should be able to hang out in one of your random hide outs."

I wasn't lying. I actually did tell Lacey. At first she was confused but I did in fact bring up that she hangs out with Logan, to which she said that Logan wasn't labelled as a bad boy at his school. She refused to let me leave until I promised her that if there was any problems I would call or text her immediately. She also told me to tell her where Nick spends his free time at school but I felt that could cross the line of trust Nick gave me.

"Are you scared to be around me by yourself?" Nick questions with his brows furrowed.

"What?" I ask.

"Are you scared of me?" He repeats.

"Uh...no." I reply.

"You seem scared." He points out.

"I'm not, I'm just not use to being around you." I say.

Okay, that one may have been a little white lie. I was scared and nervous to be alone with Nick. Any other time it was a parking lot or a kitchen with people twenty feet away. This time was different.