A gift:

Breakfast crawls by slowly. I absently pick apart my roll and blow on it, ignoring the steam that wafts up into the air. Sasuke slides his plate back, finished with his meal, but doesn’t move.

I can feel Kakashi’s gaze watching my every move.

“So what are we going to do today?” Naruto pipes up from beside me, looking back and forth between Kakashi and me as he waits for his answer.

“Training, most likely.” Sakura sighs softly. “Does that mean I have to go with Tazuna again?”

I shake my head quickly. “No, Sakura, you can come with me if you’d like.”

“Where are you going?” Kakashi sounds startled.

“Out.” Is my simple reply. I don’t look up from my plate.

“O-okay.” I can almost hear him frown. Naruto and Sakura both stare at me, trying to figure out what’s going on, and Sasuke stands.

“I’m going to the forest.” He says coldly.

Naruto jumps up after him. “Me too!”

The blonde hugs my neck quickly and then takes off after duckbutt. I hear chair legs scrape against the wood floor. Kakashi walks over to me, hands curled into fists. I stiffen as he leans down and taps my shoulder awkwardly. I look over, focusing my gaze on his masked nose.

He swallows thickly and his finger slides beneath the edge of the mask and pulls it down. I turn my head, closing my eyes.

Something warm and soft brushes against my cheek. 

My eyes widen. I look up but he’s gone, the door to the house slamming shut.

“Did…did he just…kiss you?” Sakura can’t seem to close her mouth.

I stand abruptly and wave my hand slightly-dismissing her comment. “You’ll catch flies that way.” I say urgently, pointing to her food. “We’ll be leaving soon so hurry up and eat.”

Tazuna and Tsunami blink out of their shock. I am already running full speed up the stairs and into my room. Slamming the door behind me, I rush to the mirror and stare at my face-searching for any evidence of his lips actually touching the skin there.

Shaking my head, I step back. This is ridiculous. There’s no way in hell Kakashi would’ve kissed me. He hated my guts!

“Sensei?” Sakura’s light raps on the door startle me.

I walk over to the door and open it. Sakura blinks and steps back, bowing her head slightly. “I’m finished eating.” She tells me. “Where are we going?”

Swallowing back the emotions that shudder through me, I smile sweetly and step out of my room. “I found a cool little shop while I was out yesterday. I thought I’d visit it again today.” Total lie, I haven’t even stepped foot into town. But Sakura buys it and nods-taking my hand as we start down the stairs.

“Alex-Sensei?” She looks up as I close the door behind us. “How old are you?”

“Nineteen.” I smile. “Why do you ask?”

“Have you ever had a boyfriend?” She asks innocently.

I blink and look down at her. “Why do you ask?”

She shrugs but I think I know the answer. My hand rises to my cheek automatically. Warm skin greets me and a scowl, rubbing at the blush as if it was marker and would come off. I hear Sakura giggle lightly. “No.” I grumble. “I’ve never really had a boyfriend. I have had crushes, of course, but nothing requited.”