Time Will Tell:

“It’s off!” I shout happily after ripping the stupid kimono off my body. Kakashi smiles slightly and stands behind me in front of the mirror, bare arms wound around my torso. I lean into his chest-staring at our reflections. He looks forlorn, grim, but his lips are twitched into a small smile beneath his mask. It’s for my sake, I realize and frown softly.

Only time can heal us.

I sigh and twist around in his grasp. Our eyes lock and a strange mutual feeling passes through us. Naruto needs food, knowing him he’ll be bursting into our room soon. And, no matter how tempting it is, we can’t just sit in here and hold each other for the rest of our lives.

“What’s for dinner?” I reach up and brush a strand of silver from his eyes.

He closes his eyes. “Probably ramen.”

I smile crookedly and grab his hand, tugging him towards the door. “Come, come!”

Naruto sits on the couch, watching InuYasha. He jerks up as we enter, mouth opening wide so he can speak. I cut him off. “Kakashi is fixing ramen.”

A little smug and happy, Naruto nods and sinks back into the couch.

Kakashi grabs a pan and starts to boil the water. I climb up onto my spot on the counter, letting my legs dangle and swing dangerous-almost nailing Kakashi in the uh-oh-spot. “Watch it.” He grunts, grimacing at the idea of the possible damage, and I purse my lips-trying not to smile. He dumps two bags of the noodles into the pot and then walks over to me.

I squeal loudly when his hands touch the tops of my thighs.

“Does that tickle?” He grins sheepishly.

“Shut the hell up!” I snap at him, and go to hit him but he grabs my wrist. Our fingers intertwine and squeeze tight and he draws both my arms upwards. His suddenly unmasked lips-damn ninja skills-press against mine. Our eyes fall shut and he nibbles on my lower lip.

A loud popping sound bursts through the air. We both jump and the backs of my heels slam against the counter, sending a sharp bit of pain radiating up my calves. Another pop sounds. It sounds like a gunshot.

“SHIT!”

Kakashi whirls around and tries to save the ramen. I cackle evilly and Naruto pokes his head into the kitchen, looking murderous. “You better not be harming my ramen, Dad.”

“Sorry, sorry.” Kakashi pours the packet of seasonings into the noodles, adds a few other seasonings of his own, and then begins to stir furiously. He shoots me a dirty look. “You are a horrible distraction. Go watch tv with Naruto.”

“The ramen is almost done anyways.” I grin maliciously. “He’ll be in here soon.”

He scowls. After a bit, I hop down from the counter and grab three bowls and three pairs of chopsticks. We fix our bowls and call Naruto in, who runs into the room like a squirrel on coffee, and grabs his bowl from my hands hastily.

“Yum!” Naruto barely makes it to the table, shoveling the noodles into his mouth.

I roll my eyes, smile, and take my spot across from Kakashi. Kakashi still has his mask down and I giggle. Despite how many times Naruto has eaten with us, he has still failed to notice this and all three of my little ducklings still try to catch the silver haired ninja with his mask down. Taking a bite of my  ramen, I watch as Naruto sits back-rubbing his stomach happily.

“That was good! Not as good as Ichiraku’s but still pretty good, believe it!!” Naruto shouts happily, pumping his fist into the air. “I want more!”