Team Minato:

“We were strangers, starting out on a journey. Never dreaming of what we’d have to go through.” I break out into song, throwing my arms up into the air and spinning around in a circle as we walk. “Now here we are and I’m suddenly standing at the beginning with you!”

I look to Kakashi, waiting for him to break into song with me. My husband simply rolls his eyes and shakes his head. “I’m not singing.”

“Naru-kun!” I call.

“No, Ma. Leave me alone!” Naruto gasps hastily and starts running. Sakura giggles lightly and Sasuke simply glares at the floor, ignoring us all. We have another mission, one that surprisingly isn’t in the anime or manga, and we’re supposed to go to Sunagakure, special request of their new Kazekage Gaara.

Which is perfectly fine with me, I never got to really meet said redhead and I’ve been dying too.

I pout. “But it’s such a good song! SASUKE!”

I turn to the duckling but he shoots me a swift glare of death. “No.”

And I return to my pouting.

“Fine. I guess I’ll just have to do both parts…all by myself…with no partner, even though I do have a husband…all lonely…and cold.” I stare at Kakashi-waiting for him to say, okay honey, I’ll sing. But unfortunately, he only picks up on my latter comment.

“Are you cold?”

I scowl at him and he grins beneath his mask.

“No one told me, I was going to find you. Unexpected; what you did to my heart.” I continue, scowling darkly still, “When I lost hope, you were there to remind me, this is the star.”

“And life is a road and I want keep going. Love is a river I want keep flowing. Life is a road, now and forever. A wonderful journey. I’ll be there when the world stops turning. I’ll be there when the storm is through. In the end, I wanna be standing at the beginning with you.” My lips stretch into a wide smile and I look to Kakashi, slightly smug, as he sings along softly.

I giggle and spin around again. Kakashi rolls his eyes and shakes his head again.

Lucky for him, I don’t force him to sing along anymore. The woods are quiet, only the sand shifting beneath our shoes making a sound. I smile, now content that I got Kakashi to sing with me-especially in front of the kids, I mean, what a feat!-and gladly comply to the comfortable silence that consumes us. Naruto is still a little ways away, head shifting this way and that to make sure we’re not being followed, and Sasuke is still glaring at the ground with his hands shoved into his pockets. Sakura is the only one who moves-stopping until I am at her side.

Guess she realized Sasuke wasn’t in a very talkative mood today.

Kakashi walks along quietly on the other side of Sakura. I’ve been waiting for him to take out that book of his, so I can relish his reaction while it lasts, but I guess he has a lot on his mind. Which doesn’t surprise me. He’s pretty worried about waking up one day and me not being there.

I sigh softly at the thought. Don’t get me wrong, I get sick at the thought of it. Even now I’m starting to get queasy, which is exactly why I try to avoid thinking that way. Plus, a small part of me secretly believes that if I keep thinking about it, it’ll actually happen. And I just can’t afford to think like that.

“How long do you think this mission will take?” Sakura asks after a couple moments of silence.

I look down, blinking. “If memory serves correct, I think its three days…?”

She nods and glances over to Sasuke, a sense of longing evading her features. I sigh softly, thinking about what’s in store for them in the future. I wonder if I should save her the heartache and just tell her he doesn’t care.