Chapter 30

Five years later

"Melanie!" My mother screamed while I was screaming for the taxi. "One sec." I tell her trying to catch a taxi." My best friend that I had made in Italy, Leila, was also trying to catch a taxi but it seemed they all were ignoring us. "Melanie!" My mother yelled once more. "Yes, mother," I told her annoyed. "Hun. I called an Uber. Relax." I and Leila both stopped trying to call the taxi.

"Oh," I was exhausted trying to catch a taxi, "That's nice," I told my mother. Really annoyed that she's telling me this now. "That's pleasant to hear." Leila comments. My mother rolls her eyes. "Maybe, if both of you weren't so crazy you'd be able to listen to me." I laughed at that remark of hers. She was so funny but she was right. "Yeah, mom. You're right." Leila stays quiet.

Here we were in New York City. After, studying business in Spain. I and my mom decided to come to New York where my dad opened his own practice. My mom would be living with my dad in the Hamptons, while I and Leila had found an apartment for a good price in the upper west side of Manhattan. We both had attained jobs working with Leila's brother who had a good job in a renowned cosmetic business. Leila was an influencer, while I was really good at marketing. Which was really pleasant for both of us. Even though this company was only three years old. It was really big. They were working with celebrities and renowned people already. And we were both to start in four days. I was really excited.

"Ok, mom. I guess this is it." My mother looked at me with a smile, "Be safe. And call us, also try and visit as often as possible ok. I'm only an hour away." I smiled at my mom. "Yes, mother," I told her happily. She had ordered two Ubers. One to take her home and one to take us. Her uber came before ours and now we were bidding goodbye. My mother waved goodbye to us one more time before leaving.

After her car drove away. I saw our uber was also here. I and Leila looked at each other before squealing with excitement. We finally had made it, we were going to be independent females. I and Leila were lucky to get jobs. Well more like I was lucky, Leila was an influencer she had connections and jobs waiting for her. But her brother Noah came in hand. He told us how he showed our profile to his boss who loved it and immediately hired us both. I was thankful for the opportunity life was presenting and giving to us. It had made me feel good about myself.

When we got to our apartment, we saw how empty and dirty it looked. So after a little cleaning, we finally settled on nothing. We didn't have any furniture, bed, or food. Nothing. Our mattresses were supposed to come in about three days. While our furniture would be coming in another four days. Great.

During the day I and Leila went shopping for food, blankets, pillows, paint, etc... When we came home we had to go and come back from the Uber a couple of times because of how many things I had got. It was a lot. On the second day of living in our apartment, we both painted our room, decorated the kitchen with plates, and glass, and cleaned it a bit too. We also unpacked, we didn't have much, we only brought our suitcases with some clothes. On the third day, our mattresses came and we both went to Ikea to get some cupboards and mirrors, and carpets for our room. Our rooms were finished and it looked so nice. Tomorrow our furniture will be coming and our house is complete. Leila got a lot of cute plants for our house. It was so pretty. It felt like home to us both. On the fourth day, we both got ready to go to work. We were on the trains on our way there. I need to get a car.

We finally made it. We were in front of Marble's cosmetics. It was a weird name, but nevertheless, it was cute. It was quite big. Not too big but quiet. The building was at least thirty floors. Everywhere I looked there were beautiful women and women. I guess they needed to sell the product. We saw Noah wait for us by the elevator. "Hey Noah," I said greeting him. "Mel, Leila, I thought I told you both to be early." I was confused, "We are early, we're ten minutes early." I informed him. He shakes his head disappointed. Meet Noah, he was handsome, tall, had a nice beard, and quite annoying at times. Even though he was literally only three years older he acted like our dad."Dude, get over it." Leila tells his brother. Noah gives Leila a stern look. As they both were talking I felt this really unusual feeling. I hadn't had this feeling in quite a while. It made me feel uneasy like there was someone watching me. I looked around me to see if there was anyone watching me. There was nothing so why did I feel like this.