VIII.

Lily's POV

"Why did you call me here dad? You know it's dangerous for both of us to be seen together. What if someone threatens you because of me or me because of you?" I exhaled rubbing my face as I sat in front of my dad who looked pissed.

"When were you going to tell me that you were being a target for someone?" My dad said trying to control his anger but failing miserably.

I shook my head.

"It's not a big deal. I'm always a target, whether you like it or not. We've been through this conversation so many times. Why don't you under-"

"ENOUGH!!" his voice boomed cutting me off. I flinched as I looked at him wide eyed. He was really flaming in anger.

"You are getting married as soon as possible. And you will marry the guy I choose for you." He said warning me to oppose him.

"What does that have to do with my marriage?" I said in disbelief.

After what felt like hours, he spoke

"I'm not able to protect you." He said, guilt evident in his voice as he slumped on his chair. I stood up from my seat and leaned in front of him. My hands rested on his knees as I tried to relax his tense muscles.

"Dad..." I trailed. He looked so vulnerable. I almost cried.

"From time to time...I've seen you fighting for yourself, protecting people around you, just because you're my daughter. They threaten you to get to me. I try to protect you but I fail...Every time I see you getting wounded or hurt, it breaks my heart. I want you to be safe and live a normal life. But the life that we are living is not what I want for you." He inhaled before continuing.

"The guy, my friend's son, he is capable to protect you. It would be difficult for you to cope up with his hard facade, but I've known him since his childhood. He is a good guy. He cares for people who are close to him. He will take care of you. I don't want to lose you too." He said as I saw a lone tear escaping his eyes. I wiped it away.

I knew what was going through his mind. He wanted me to be safe. And he knew that was not possible. So he chose the second best option. Getting me married to a guy who would protect me better than him. I felt pain in my chest as I realized that I would not be able to see him everyday if I got married. What if my husband doesn't allow me to meet anyone? I knew he was heartless or that's what I've heard. But I thought that there was a reason for such behavior. Maybe something bad had happened in his life or maybe the responsibility changed him into what he was now.

"I want you to promise me that you will marry that guy. I want you to be safe. He will do that. It's not like I will leave. He can't separate us. I want to see if he is capable of keeping you like a normal person away from this fatal circumstances. I've seen your mother suffer. I don't want you to go through this just like her." He said as he cupped my face.

I debated for sometime. I knew it must have taken a long time for Dad to come to this decisions but he never did anything out of stupid reasons. I knew he meant no harm or wrong to me. He loved me as much as I loved him, maybe more. I looked at him dead in the eyes.

"Do you have his photo?" I said slightly smirking at him as he chuckled.

"Don't give him a hard time girl?" He said as he kissed my forehead and took out an envelope from his drawer, passing it to me. I tore it and took out the photo. I stumbled back, landing on my butt as I felt my head spinning. This can't be happening. My dad pulled me up as he made me sit on the nearby sofa.

"What is it? Are you okay?" My dad asked frantically.

"I think you need to know everything from the start Dad." I said as I took a deep breath.