XXXVI.

Evan's POV

I sat between Alex and Ryan while Lily and Zach made breakfast. We all were staying at Lily's for a few days now. According to the nurse, which I found belonged to one of Lily's gang member's wife, said Laura will be waking up soon. The nurse's husband was the doctor, specially appointed for the gang. They were actually gang member's for field work, but then they wanted to settle down and Lily's father, Anthony, sent them to get their degrees to be a doctor. They wanted to serve people and had chosen the job when Anthony asked them what they wanted to do. The couple was really friendly and it was impossible for me to see them doing field work when they were young. Now they were around their 40's. Alex told us stories about the couple and we were impressed to hear how good they were when they were handling guns. It was quite fascinating.

"Here you go." Lily said bringing me out of my thoughts. I immediately started digging in the food and heard her chuckle while Zach sighed in exaggeration.

"Those are not the last few bites of food left in the world you know?" Ryan smirked. I shrugged and continued eating.

"A man needs food you know?" I said mocking him. He rolled his eyes as Alex snorted.

"Hope that doesn't show." Alex said and I gasped.

"You mean to say that you need an eye check-up? Dude this is drool worthy. Actually more than drool worthy. Every girl wants a taste of this." I said pointing towards my body.

"I don't want to know." Lily chimed in.

"Oh shush. You already got a taste of him. Why don't you tell us how - Oww!!! What the fuck man??!!" I yelled the last part when I got hit by a spoon. I glared at Ryan.

"That means you should shut up." Lily said hugging Ryan's form.

"Yeah. You should shut up. We'll talk about it later." Ryan said and was rewarded a smack right on his chest by Lily as she separated herself from him. She mock glared at him and turned around to pour herself some more coffee. We all chuckled while Ryan tried to get close to her but failed miserably.

I was happy for both of them. I knew how it felt to have no family and it was horrible to see Lily cry over a family she never wanted in the first place. Adam had done far too many wrong things to ruin her and Ryan's life and to be informed by your boyfriend's ex that the guy you hated the most was actually your biologically father who also killed your mother brutally was devastating.

I had seen my mother's and father's life slip in front of me and I was merely 10. It took a toll on me and the events that followed after that incident made me who I am today.

I saw Lily as my sister and so did Zach, but he rarely showed his emotions. I never hesitated to make Lily feel comfortable around me and I wanted her to feel loved. I knew Ryan was doing a great job and we all were trying. But it was like we were ignoring the elephant in the room.

But for now, if that is how we can distract Lily for some more time, we will do just that. Distract her.

"I have some work to do. Zach you're coming with me. Lily you can stay here with Evan." Ryan said as he stood up from his place and kissed Lily before he left, Zach following behind.

"I can take care of a few things related to our business. I'll come by later." Alex said as he stood up and hugged Lily.

"But I want to help too. I'm your boss." Lily tried to fight him.

"I know but you need rest for now. I'll call you if I need anything. Please." He said with desperation to which Lily sighed and agreed. He hugged her again and patted my shoulder before leaving too.