XVIII.

Lily's POV

I was in the living room talking to Alex about the message Adam had sent me.

"Why does he want to meet you? That doesn't makes sense. He was trying to kill you the other day." He said as I sat in one of the sofas. Ryan, Evan, Liam and Zach appeared out of the meeting room followed by Jim. They all gazed at me for sometime as if asking me permission to stay with me. I nodded stiffly. I was in no mood to say anything or utter a single one of my wild thoughts. I was scared about so many things. He had attacked my dad. He was after Ryan already. What if all of this mess is because of me? Was he really trying to contact me or kill me. I was baffled by the realization that he might try to kill my men just to get to me. They were dedicated to my father and our family and I was not ready to let my men die because of me.

I had told one of my maids to bring me a cup of coffee. And she was on time. She came out of the kitchen with a full cup of coffee. I needed this. I nodded at her in gratitude giving her a small smile for the first time. She worked for my father and rarely had a conversation with me. And as I was always away from this house, we rarely crossed paths. This was, I think, the second time I saw her.

She looked baffled by my reaction but recovered and reciprocated my gesture, leaving after a few moments, taking the glasses of wine that our guest had emptied except for one glass that was full and untouched. The men sat on the sofa around me, deep in their own thoughts. I ignored them. After some time, Jim cleared his throat

"What are you thinking?" He directed his question at me. I shrugged. I was not going to lend my burden on him.

"Stuffs." I said vaguely, dismissing the topic. He narrowed his eyes at me but didn't say a word. Suddenly my phone buzzed. I looked at the screen, unknown number. I answered against my gut feeling.

"Lily Brew?" The dark voice asked. My brows creased. All the eyes were focused on me.

"Who's this?" I asked in a monotone. Jim straightened in his seat while the others did the same.

"I think you might have got my message. I want to meet you Lily. I never wanted to harm you. I'm your family. I know this must be confusing for you but it's the truth. If you don't want to meet me then it's fine, for now. But if you don't want to see my face ever again then we would compromise-"

"You can go to hell. I don't care-" he cut me off

"Mind your tongue darling. Don't want that sweet mouth of yours being shut by one of my men. Or your brother. Biological brother." He said as I stilled. He continued.

"I think this is not the kind of topic that we should discuss on the phone darling. I want to have a face to face conversation with you. I'll tell you when to meet. And if you tell anybody else....then I won't be responsible for their deaths." He said and cut the call. I sat their horrified, phone slipping from my hand. Ryan and Jim stood up at the same time making their way around the table and sitting on the both of my sides.

"Lily are you okay?" Jim asked as Ryan picked up the phone and started scrolling through it. I was frozen. I already had enough on my plate. What did he want from me? Why was he making my life shit. I pulled myself out of my reverie and glanced at Alex.

"See if Dad is awake. If he is, tell him that I want to talk to him." I said, my voice void of any emotions.

He nodded and ran upstairs. No one spoke anything as Ryan typed the number, that had contacted me, in his phone and gave it to Zach.

"Find it's location and who this person is?" He said as I put my hand over his. His head whipped in my direction just like others. I didn't make eye contact with him but whispered

"Adam Gonzalez." The tension was palpable in the atmosphere now. His other hand covered mine and stroked softly. He nodded at Zach as he left with Liam. Evan stayed with us as Alex entered the room.

"He's awake." He said as I stood up. Everyone stood up with me and were about to follow me when I stopped them in their tracks. They looked torn, whether to follow me or not but obliged me anyway. I walked upstairs and reached my dad's room. The door was ajar. I went inside to see him leaning on his back and sitting with his head resting on the headboard. His eyes swept over mine in concern and then he patted the place beside him on the bed. I sat there feeling my heartbeat quicken.

"How are you?" He asked calmly but worried at the same time. I nodded as I opened my mouth to speak.

"You are my dad right? My biological father?" I asked getting to the point. I was not going to beat around the bushes. I heard him intake breath sharply.

"Lily..."

"Answer me. Yes or no?"

He took a deep breath and held my hand. Please.....my gut was wrenching painfully. I couldn't bear the silence.

"No."

His voice was almost a whisper, fearful even. I closed my eyes and inhaled as much air as I could. He held my hand tightly.

"What happened?" And he knew what I was asking this time.

"Your mother was pregnant when I met her. She was running from someone and bumped into me one day. She looked pale and skinny. Her baby bump slightly visible. I took her in. My parents took care of her. She told us she was four months pregnant that time. She never told me about the father...your father. I fell in love with her. Love at first sight. She did too. But she was scared that I would leave her too, just like your father. But I married her. She was happy with me. And she never wanted you to know about your biological father. She never discussed anything about him with me. It was her dark past. I'm sorry I never told you this. She had made me promise her." He exhaled. I held on to his every word...trying to process the truth...the truth of my life.

I stood up and left without a second glance at my dad....or more like my step dad. He didn't stop me. He knew I needed space. I went downstairs absentmindedly. Everyone stood up from their positions and kept their eyes on my every move. I was in trance. I had no idea why I came downstairs or where I was going. My legs were moving automatically. I stopped in the center of the living room and looked at each of their faces. They were etched in concern...concern for me... I almost laughed at that thought. Why do they care about me? Why are they so close to me? Why am I even here?

I was a no one. My identity was unknown. I had no idea who my father was. My mother lied to me about everything.

The reality hit me like a truck.

I never belonged here. They were risking their lives for me and I was not even their own blood. They were protecting me on the cost of their own lives. What if my dad is still alive? Looking for me? What if my father is someone that knows where I am but not confronting me? What did he do to my mother? Why did she run away from him? And the biggest question....how did Adam know about all these fucked up things. So many questions. My head was hurting badly and I could do nothing. Nothing at all.

Everything happened so fast. My legs gave out under me and I went spiraling down but before my eyes closed, I felt soft and warm grip on my waist and calls of my name by several men.

And I entered into the darkness of my soul....