Chapter 44

When Fiyero and Ginama got home, dinner was already made and the letter was still on the table. I need to hide that damned thing before he sees it. He went to go lay Ginama down for a nap and I grabbed the letter. When he came back, I quickly hid the letter behind my back.

"What's that?" Fiyero asked.

"Nothing," I lied.

"Elphaba," he said, stepping closer.

"It's nothing, my love."

He tried circling me but when I kept turning, he grabbed my arms and pulled me into a kiss.

I melted into the kiss as I kissed back. I loosened my grip on the letter and Fiyero snatched it.

"Works every time," he smirked.

I huffed, "Not fair."

He opened the letter and started to read it. Afraid to hear his response, I went to our room to lay down.

A few minutes slowly passed before Fiyero walked in with the letter. "This is what you were worried about?" He asked.

I sighed.

"Fae, this is nothing to-"

"They almost killed you when we last encountered them, Fiyero!"

"So you think the same thing is going to happen? You think they're going to beat me until they get something out of me?"

"Considering you're now my husband and the farther of my child, yes! They wanted to get rid of me come hell or high water! Literally! What if they still want the same thing? What if they're after our daughter now?"

"Nothing's going to happen to me, Elphaba. As long as you stay here, they won't know where you are and they don't even have the slightest suspense of us having a child. Besides, if I start working for them again, I'll be able to do what a husband is supposed to be doing by supporting his family. Think about it... It pays well and I'll be able to take you out more often."

I started to get fed up. "Fine. If you're so sure about this then go ahead."

"Fae..."

"Go!"

He changed into his suit then headed for the door.

"Wait. No!" I ran after him and clinged onto him before he could go anywhere. "Hurry back."

He held me tight and kissed the top of my head. "I'll be back soon," he said before pulling away and walking out the door.

After a few hours, Fiyero still wasn't home and I began to worry. The sun was starting to set, he should've been home by now. Ginama was asleep so I couldn't go looking for him. I began to worry so much that small sparks started to fly out of my hands.

"Ugh!" I groaned in frustration. "Calm down, Elphaba... He's fine... He'll be home soon."

Within the next few minutes Fiyero walked in.

"Yero!" I exclaimed as I ran over to him and embraced him tightly. "Thank Oz you're home. I was getting worried."

He hugged back and stroked my hair, "It's alright, my love, I'm home."

I smiled and looked up at him, "How did it go?"

"It went pretty well. They granted me the position of the Captain of the Guard again."

"D-does that mean-"

"No, we're not moving back to Oz... I can't risk you and our daughter's safety." He sighs, "But..."

"But what?"

"The new ruler of Oz will be checking in on us from time to time."

"Glinda?"

"No... Glinda was asked to rule Oz when the Wizard left but refused the position."

"Then who is it and why do they insist on 'checking in on us'?"

"I don't know but I'm sure she has good reasoning."

"Who's she?"

"Her name is Liana."

"Liana?" Her name sounded strangely familiar but I just couldn't remember who she was or what she looked like.

"She's Morrible's granddaughter."

Bingo. That's how I recognized her name. Back at Shiz, Morrible had constantly talked about her granddaughter in a few of our sorcery seminars. She would always talk about how powerful she was at only the age of three and how much she made her proud. And now... she's ruling Oz. Let's just hope she's better at ruling this land than her grandmother was at ruling a university and that she's nothing like her grandmother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: And there you have it, the final chapter of this fanfic. I hope you all enjoyed and thank you so much for the likes, comments, and follows! I'm debating between making a sequel or not but if you do want to see a sequel just let me know and if I get enough request, I just might create one. Thanks again for all your reads! Love you all! 💚