"1"

I grit my teeth at the steaming sun. I wish I was resistant to heat, if that was the case I would walk through the savanna and survive or better never bother to wait in the damn line for water in physical education. The line is like 2 full meters long for Jesus sakes.

I ran my hand through my hair as Lisanna laughed at Elfman's jokes. Then she stopped. "Hey, it's real hot isn't it?"

"Yep," I grin. I seat down next to her. Mira her older sister waved at all three of us under this big blossom tree. Mira walked with these two girls, a brunette and short girl with pig tails. Lisanna waved happily back. "Mir!" She smiles very big. Mira only nodded her in the slightest acknowledgment her perfect laid back persona. While Lisanna was the complete opposite. "So Gray's helping you with trigonometry, Natsu?" Elf man says to me. I balance my pencil in my hand. Then I growl at him. "Don't even start."

"What?" He says, confused. "What did I do?"

Then Lisanna and him look like on cue. "He hates math."

"And Gray," I say. "If you want to get me pissed there's your recipe. Now watch it before I beat your face off. Kay' Elfman?" I say, but grinning at him like I wasn't even threatening him just now.

"Natsu." Lisanna whines. I laugh as I see her worried face. "I'm kidding of course. Elfman, buddy, we're good. Right? Want half of my sandwich? Huh buddy?" I open my lunchbox and offer him.

Elfman looks confused. I toss the box on the grass. Whining out loud.

"What's wrong with him?"

Lisanna looks at me. "What's wrong Natsu?"

I see that she's closer to me now. I don't often notice things as small as that. But sometimes I actually do. Her uniform skirt is practically brushing against me. And her big blue eyes have that look in them. That desperate coy look. She's giving me the top-heavy press against and the hand reacher. "Is math and Gray really bothering you?" She presses my hand with hers harder. "You know...it's kinda bad we...y'know...cause the dance is coming up. It's a costume party themed too! I'm just...we could as friends you know? If you're not..."

"Lisanna!" Elfman sighs, heavily annoyed. I look at him and she  closes her eyes breaths and looks at me expectingly.

I look away and feel my stomach rumble. "Oh." I say, followed by a silence.

Then we all laugh at the same time. Lisanna sounds strained though. "Looks like you need the sandwich more then I do." Elfman snorts. He has his reading glasses on as he studies, his pile of homework right next to him. I don't even know how this guy puts up with the scorching heat. I mean I don't mind the heat. Not really. I just hate that I'm not resistant to it like I should be.

"I think I'm gonna go get something to eat in the cafeteria." I say, standing up. Lisanna looks up at me with a hesitant look in her big sky blue eyes. She has a black headband around her short hair, along with two very small pigtails. She said she wanted to grow out her hair. Because it was always remained short at the nape of her neck. "I'll come with you." She said standing up. "You don't need to, Lisanna." I sigh. "If you want to I'll bring you something. How's that?"

"But why can't I come with?" She insists, searching for me to give in right in my eyes.

"Because..." and then I realized I didn't even have an excuse for her not to come with. I saw her glossy smile curl in when she saw the giving in evident on my face. "Let's go...Elfman?" I ask turning to him. He shook his head not bothering to look up.

"Studying."

"Yeah." I sigh, then I give Lisanna one last look as I start to trot along the path towards our high school. She taps my elbow and she begs with her eyes. I roll my eyes and allow our elbows to intertwine.

The noise of loud shouts and brief conversations hit our ears as we came in. Then I heard a loud slam. "Oh Droy are you okay!" I ignored the situation and entered the lunchroom. Lisanna said she wanted to make sure everything was okay so she went to see and so she's no longer with me. I loosen my tie. Every row at every table filled with students in uniforms. Our big private school lunchroom filled with everyone I know. There was Laxus. The mighty one. We've had beef between us so when we made eye contact we glared daggers. But then Gray blocked into my view and it broke the tension.

"Hey man." We pump fists. I grin. "Hey panties!"

Everyone around started laughing. "Nice one, Natsu!" One of the guys hollered. Everyone immediately looked away and closed their mouths as Gray glared at them. Then he looked back at me. "I'm not in the mood for your idiot remarks, pinky." He grabbed me from the collar of my shirt. And I glared at him. "Who do you think you're calling pinky?" I scowled.

"Oh you know. Just the idiot with pink hair right in front of me, I mean...who the fuck else! We're making eye contact!" He mocks me.

I'm this close to beating him up. "Why you!!!" I roar. We're about to punch each other when Cana pinches both our ears incredibly hard. "Owwwwww!" I screamed. So did Gray. Then we look at her. But the whole lunchroom is now watching us. But I could care less.

"Idiots! We attend the one of the most highest and important private school board in the nation! Do you want to ruin our fucking image?! You two idiots do this every damn time! Make peace! Make love! Do some shit!" I look down at the floor and I slowly say, with a moment of silence.

"He started it."

The whole lunchroom groans.

"Gray. You're more mature than Natsu. Everyone knows it. So why the fuck are you even bothering?" Cana sneers at him, her long wavy ponytail falling on her shoulders with her head shake.

Gray looks pissed and we don't stop glaring at each other for anything. "You think Gray's mature!? He's the exact same! We fought yesterday because he was mad I took off my socks in his room!"

"You're dirty socks are the reason my hamster fucking died! I'm not even kidding. The hell I wish I was!"

I scowl, "Whatever."

"You two...are so lucky Erza isn't here this week. She would stab you both right now." Cana facepalms.

"I'd rather be stabbed then have to face this man's stench." Gray throws his hand up.

"Shut. The. Fuck. Up." I growl.

"Do you want to get beaten!?" Gray challenges. Cana struggles to stop us as we practically smash her between us. She manages to push us we both her hands with her in the middle. "Just STOP!" Her scream filled the air with an echo.

The whole lunchroom goes silent for a full minute before it resumes loud and rowdy as usual. "You BOTH are seniors in high school. SENIORS! And yet act like teenie tiny toddlers who argue about every single little thing and one up each other at every chance you get! Last week you two managed to somehow set the fire alarm off and then continued to wrestle in the sprinklers inside for half and hour in the cafeteria! You scared people have to death you know!" Cana scolds. She drags us both to her height by tugging our ears that are now actually piercing with pain.

"Yeah okay, we're sorry!" We say. She huffs and we sit down.

Several minutes later while I've already finished my food and Cana and Gray argue about pineapple on pizza. I see Lisanna. She has a usual big smile on her face. As she pauses in the lunchroom's doorway. She's with someone. But then she walks away and I don't understand who she was with.