Chapter Four

Chapter Four - Savior

It is 9.45 p.m. and I'm on my way back home, walking through the utterly quiet neighborhoods of Berlin. Occasionally, cars will pass by and illuminate me with their headlights before I would be immersed in darkness once more.

There is a thin film of sweat on my forehead as I walk on, a heavy backpack on my shoulders and two bags of groceries in both hands. I huff out an exhausted breath, wishing I had a car for situations like these. But hey, at least the moon and stars are out to play tonight. There's something about staring up at that silver circle in the sky that calms me down instantly. Ironic since my name means moon.

My bicycle that I use to get around everywhere in Berlin is gone for repair and no bus travels anywhere near where I live at this hour either. So, my last resort is to walk the hour-long journey back home from university. Sometimes it isn't so bad when my schedule for the day isn't jam packed with classes but days like today hit home to how much a method of transportation is necessary for late nights.

But right now, there are three drunk men that have followed me from a bar I had passed on my way out of the city and hadn't stopped yet. My heart is hammering away inside my chest and I'm trying not to panic. The fact that my body itself is physically exhausted has me freaking out even more because if they were to start harassing me then I will be too tired to put up a good fight.

I continue in silence and my racing heart seems to return to a normal pace when I manage to put more distance between us. However, that all turns out to be in vain when I hear them start to cat call. I quicken my pace to get away from them but my legs burn in protest and the men catch up to me.

"Hey baby, where you going?" One man slurs, draping his arm across my shoulders.

I stop and shrug him off me before walking away. "Leave me alone!"

No sooner have I said that, they pull me back by my backpack and I stumble, dropping my grocery bags. A dark-haired man grabs hold of my jaw and steps closer, telling me to shut up while another takes my backpack off. I scream loudly, kicking at them and punching the man in front of me.

They cry out and stumble and I make a run for it, but I'm grabbed and thrown to the ground. I'm sobbing now and fighting with all my might but my energy was diminishing quickly and my punches and kicks were becoming sloppy.

Just as they tore the cloth of my tights and the sleeve of my dress, a deadly looking muscle car turns the corner and I scream with all my might, the sound echoing in the quiet street. I hear the squeal of tyres before a door opens, the sound of rushed footsteps meeting the pavement before the man is pulled off me.

It's him. It's the stranger from the night at the hospital and I can't express how glad I am to see him.

Two men still hold onto me and I punch one in the cheek, kicking the other one repeatedly before he let go of me with a pained groan. The stranger came over to help me up before he starts beating up the two men, the man he pulled off me first now laying still on the grass. I can see his bloody face from here which makes my eyes widen before I turn to grab the stranger's arm.

"Stop!" I yell, pulling him towards me and away from the men who now lay unconscious on the pavement.

He turns towards me, chest heaving in anger as his icy blue eyes scan me for any injuries. "Are you alright - Luna?!"

I had just stepped into the light when he spoke. Smiling shakily, I nod before looking at the man who groans suddenly. The stranger holds up his finger as if telling me to wait before he kicks the man so hard I fear a bone or two broke.