Bonus Chapter #1

Bonus Chapter #1 - Test Drive

It was the third week of November and it was a busy one, like every other week. I now work at the city hospital but during holidays or whenever I'm free, I like to help out in the infirmary at mine and Kaden's pack. 

I'm currently walking into the hospital, taking the coffee cup from Josefine with a grateful smile. She chuckles lightly before falling into step with me. Josefine Hofmann was the first person I met when I started at this hospital and we clicked instantly. She's now a very close friend of mine and has also met Maddox, Eva and Kaden.

We make our way into a room on the second floor where we start with a report of any new information on discharges and admissions, then move onto any patients whose conditions have worsened overnight. After being assigned our areas, we take note of the count of medications before medically evaluating patients and their vitals.

I spend most of my morning administering medication, changing dressings and documenting care in every patient's records. During this, I also educate any family members around on how to manage their loved one's condition, including special diet plans and home care after treatment.

After that, I take a break with a few of my friends in the canteen. Josefine and I met people from different departments who have roughly the same working hours as us at times.

The second half of my day involves working with trainees on how to provide hands on care for patients. There are around thirty in my group, which I teach alongside Alaric, a nurse who had joined three years before I did. Josefine nudges me before winking, giggling as she walks away.

I shake my head in amusement. Although she knew that I'm dating Kaden, she still tries to make me admit that our colleague has potential. I laugh it off everytime because she doesn't know exactly how serious Kaden and I are, and that I would never leave him.

I step into the large room, smiling back at Alaric who waves once he notices me. He's tall with tousled brown hair and sparkling blue eyes, a muscled physique that has the young female trainees swooning over. Alaric is a handsome and charming man, I'll give him that. But, he's nothing compared to Kaden.

We start the session and soon we're jumping right into the practical exercises we had discussed last week. The hours fly by and I find myself feeling relieved when I'm told I can go. Usually I'm kept here quite late but Wednesdays were the good days where I was let off early.

Alaric and I walk out together, laughing at the dad joke he had just told me. I shake my head as he argues how funny it was, accepting the hug he gives me before waving as we walk off in opposite directions. But then, I see him.

Kaden.

He's leaning against his car looking like the definition of dangerous with his black leather jacket and combat boots. His midnight hair is tousled sexily as always and the way he stands there with his arms crossed against his chest makes him look intimidating. His form, however, is tense no matter how much he looks at ease just waiting there. His eyes are narrowed and I'm almost certain that he's looking at me.

I can hear the low murmurings of people passing by as I slowly walk towards him. His eyes are burning with something dark that makes me shiver slightly. Fixated on my figure, he watches me like a hawk as I come to a stop before him.

"Hey." I smile, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Who was that guy?" Kaden grunts, his arms still crossed.