Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Twenty-Seven – Birthday Boy.

"It's his birthday?!"

I blush in embarrassment when people around me on the busy street stare at me with curiosity.

Rico shoots me a weird look before his eyes widen in realisation. "Wait...he never told you?"

I shake my head, frowning at how Kaden had not once mentioned that his birthday is today. Rico and I had quite literally bumped into each other in town whilst I was running some errands and he was gift shopping for Kaden.

"It's okay Luna, he generally doesn't like celebrating his birthday."

"What are your plans for tonight then?" I ask, shuffling closer to let a woman past.

"Well, I haven't exactly thought of anything." He groans when I shoot him a look of disbelief. "Maybe meet up with the boys and have a few drinks?"

"Or...a surprise party with his closest friends!" I suggest, thinking of how we could set it up by tonight.

"That's actually a great idea! Kaden's never had one since..." He trails off, making me smile gently in understanding. Snapping out of it, he looks at me with determination and excitement. "Let's plan a party!"

We decide on how best to organise everything for tonight. Rico calls up the boys and I'm relieved to know that Natalie and Leah are close by so we can all talk to them on the speakerphone. We delegate roles between us and I text Maddox and Eva of the plans for tonight, who respond with excitement.

Axel suggests we should do a barbeque party held at his house and everyone agrees that Kaden won't expect something fishy about it since he will be heading over for drinks anyways. After everyone is clear on what they're doing, we hang up.

Rico and I head into the various stores, deciding on decorations and balloons. I pick out some tassel garlands, bunting, string lights and streamers. I turn around only to frown in confusion when I see Rico carrying a pack of black balloons.

"Why black?"

"It matches the colour of his soul." He shrugs, making my jaw drop at the statement whilst he laughs loudly. "Kidding. I got gold and red too since it's his favourite colour."

"Okay, good." I breathe a sigh of relief, agreeing with him that we have everything we needed.

After paying for the decorations, we make our way to a nearby supermarket. Grabbing things for the barbeque, we pick out some snacks and sodas also. Making our way past the checkout line and collecting our items, Rico and I carry the bags to his car and load them into the backseat before setting off to Axel's house.

The drive isn't that long and by four o'clock, we are driving past the wrought iron gates and into the large estate. Rico points out that all this land belongs to Axel's pack, telling me which house is the main pack house. It's quite a large building and it makes sense when he tells me that most of the pack lives there. Families live in the other houses that we drive by before we get to the large mansion that houses Axel's family and Natalie.

Hopping out of the car, we grab the bags before I follow Rico to the back garden where there is the sound of chatter. Maddox and Eva have already reached and I greet them with a wide grin, hugging them both before setting the bags down on the large picnic table.

I greet everyone with a wave, grabbing Eva's hand before we make our way into the house. Natalie hugs Eva and I as Owen takes the bag of snacks off me with a greeting. We prepare the food and I can feel the excitement in the air as everyone prepares for tonight.