Chapter Forty-Two

Chapter Forty-Two – Caged

Luna Winter's P.O.V.

A week has passed since I arrived back in Berlin. Maddox and Eva are still blissfully unaware of the turmoil raging inside of me every minute of my day. I miss my mate, the distance between us is killing me. I don't know if he met the Council, if he's in New York or Greece, if he's safe.

I stare at my phone screen, the countless messages I have sent Kaden over the past week seeming pathetic. Here I am, desperate to know how he is and he doesn't care. But then, I think that something bad might have happened only to quickly chase those thoughts away.

Sighing loudly in frustration, I press the call button and hold the phone up to my ear. And just like every other time, it goes straight to voicemail.

"Hey Kaden...it's me. I'm uh just calling to see if you're okay. Please call me back, I-I love you." I trail off at the end, my voice a whisper in the quiet room.

I throw my phone on the bed haphazardly, covering my face as tears start to blur my vision. What if something happened? What if the Council hurt him? What if I never see him again? All these questions are playing in my mind like a broken record on repeat.

I wipe a tear from my cheek before taking painkillers for my increasing headache, I knew it's from stressing over exams and my mate...mostly my mate. I focus back on the books and notes spread out on my bed, picking up my pen to start studying once more.

But I have only written down a sentence when the doorbell rings, the distinct sound echoing in the quiet house. I grumble under my breath, wondering why my friends had not taken their keys tonight. Before I called Kaden, Eva texted me that she is in the library studying for her in class exam tomorrow so maybe it's Maddox downstairs.

I make my way down the stairs and towards the door, unlocking it. "Why didn't you take your keys, Maddie?"

My eyes widen when I see the burly man standing outside, a wicked smirk on his lips. My entire body freezes and I feel my chest constrict, fear consuming me. Snapping into action, I back away and try closing the door but it's futile when the man pushes forward, the door slamming against the wall with a loud bang.

A blood-curdling scream escapes my lips as I try and run upstairs, but before I can reach the top floor, I am pulled back harshly. My head slams against one of the steps and I cry out in pain, my temple stinging. I feel my body being turned and the man from before appears in my line of sight.

"Let me go!" I scream, kicking uselessly but also feeling my body weaken.

The last thing I remember is his hands on me, picking me up and throwing me over his shoulder. I see the panic button and try to grab it without alerting the man, my fingers closing in around it. I press the red button before hiding it under my sleeve.

A hoarse scream escapes me when I see Rico and Derek knocked out, their bodies on the ground with blood oozing from their wounds. My heart hurts at seeing the people I care about in this state. I feel helpless not being able to struggle or escape, my body feels heavy just like my eyelids as they quickly droop, closing completely as the pain in my head becomes worse.

The unknown man's eerie chuckle is the last sound I hear before I'm thrown in the back of a vehicle, landing unceremoniously on the ground with a loud thud. I cry out in pain, clutching my head when it hits off the carpeted floor. As the doors close on me and lock, I hide the device in my bra.