Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six – Up in Flames.

I'm in a lecture when I hear my my phone vibrating. Hurriedly, I take it out and quickly exit the hall. There are 6 missed calls and 4 text messages already that I have failed to attend to since my phone was in my bag.

"Hello?" I greeted, wondering why Kaden was calling.

"Why didn't you pick up earlier?!" He demands, making me wince at how angry he sounds.

"Kaden...I have a class right now and my phone was in my bag. What's wrong?"

A thunderous growl filters through the speaker making me pull away at the sheer volume. He sounds furious and I wonder what has made him so upset. Our bond is suddenly twisting tightly in anger, frustration and something dark. All these intense emotions are coming from Kaden.

"Kaden, calm down and tell me what's wrong." I urge, pacing the hallway and ignoring the students who are eyeing me as they walk past.

"He ruined it, I hate him so much! I'm going to f*cking kill him!" He snarls in anger, breathing harsh as he tries to control his emotions. "I need you Luna. Rico should be in the parking lot by now, he'll bring you back here -"

"Hold on, at least tell me what happened?" I interrupt, leaning against the wall.

"No. I don't want to talk, please Luna just get here quickly. I'm going out of my f*cking mind, I need you." His voice takes on a desperate tone which makes me worry even more.

"Okay, I'm on my way. I'm coming...just don't do anything rash."

"Hurry." He grits out and hangs up, but I manage to catch the shouting in the background.

I let out a shaky breath before quietly slipping into the lecture hall and grabbing my bag from my seat, whispering to Eva and Maddox that I'll talk to them later. I send them a reassuring smile as they watch me with concern before I leave the hall.

Rushing through the building, I finally reach the exit and hurry down the steps. I notice the familiar face of Rico who is restlessly tapping his fingers on the steering wheel, staring ahead with a frown. I immediately get into the passenger seat and strap my seat belt on before he starts the engine, speeding out of the parking lot.

"What's going on, Rico?" I ask, my heart hammering away in my chest.

He sighs heavily, taking a left at the university gates. "The back of Kaden's house was set on fire last night, someone tried to kill him whilst he slept. That someone, we believe, is Ace."

I gasp loudly, staring at him in shock. The thought of someone hurting Kaden has my heart aching painfully. I slouch in my seat, blinking away tears. 

"H-He's okay, right? Is he badly hurt?"

Rico nods his head, glancing at me from the corner of his eye. "He'll be alright Luna, just a few scratches and mild burns. Thankfully he smelt the smoke before it reached his bedroom and the guards from Axel's pack arrived. They managed to put it out but the wall opposite the kitchen, the bathroom and some of the floor upstairs is burnt, barely standing."

"Weren't the guards supposed to be at his house already?" I frowned in confusion. 

"Yes," He nods, pausing to concentrate on ongoing traffic before turning. "But usually there's a five minute delay in changing shifts throughout the day.We're assuming that Ace or someone who works with him have been watching the guards closely."