Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine – Talks in Toronto.

"The deadline for this assignment is Wednesday. Any late submissions will be subject to a loss of percentage per day." My female lecturer explains, standing at the front of the large lecture hall. "If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. See you on Friday."

I sigh tiredly, packing my notebook and folder into my bag before swinging it on to my shoulder. It is currently ten in the morning and I haven't had a chance to grab coffee yet.

I walk out of the hall, waiting outside for Maddox who is talking to the lecturer. As opposed to the rush of students in the hallways during lunch time, the campus is relatively quiet with a few students walking to and from classes, the ones who have made the effort to come in at lunchtime.

The door behind me swings open and I turn to see Maddox's brown eyes scouring the hallways for mine. I step out from my spot and wave, his face lighting up when he notices me. He makes his way towards me, pulling on one of the straps of his backpack.

"That was the longest lecture of my life!" He grumbles, pulling me to the café.

"I'm just glad it's over, I think I dozed off a couple of times." I shake my head, grinning cheekily when he laughs.

"Believe me, I saw you."

We grab some coffee after that, adding some breakfast items to our order so that we wouldn't be demonstrating whale calls in the middle of our next class. Maddox and I had missed our alarms and I miraculously woke up with enough time to brush my teeth and get dressed before we were out the door. Thus, we were starving.

The café is quiet, which I liked. Students walked past as we munched on our food and took sips of our coffee, some taking seats to have lunch just like us and others meeting up with their friends before heading to class together.

As I'm looking around, I spot Natalie making her way into the café. I wave to her and she smiles brightly when she catches my eye. Grabbing herself some food, she makes her way over to us with a red coloured tray.

"Hey guys!" She chirps, pulling out the seat beside me.

Maddox and I greet her before we chat about our schedules and what we're planning to do after college ends. I finish the earliest today so I decide to pay Kaden a visit. But then, I realise that I'll have to cycle all the way there. 'Maybe Natalie knows some bus that takes that route.' I wonder, turning to her and asking.

She nods, explaining to me which route it is. I write down the number of the bus and time in case I forget before thanking her, relieved that I don't always have to ask Kaden for lifts now. She insists on giving me a lift when I decide to surprise Kaden with food from Rosie's since it's his favourite.

After we finish our food, we make our way back to class. Natalie and I plan to meet right after class before she exits the building, leaving Maddox and I to walk to our second two-hour lecture of the day. I groan quietly when we enter the hall, seeing him send me a sympathetic smile as if to say, 'I'm in this too!'

I take my seat beside him, greeting some familiar faces that sit in the rows behind us. There are five minutes left until the class starts and I can hear a guy, sitting two rows down from us, saying how he hopes the lecturer doesn't show up. Oh, how I wish that could be true.

***