Chapter Thirty-Seven

Chapter Thirty-Seven – The Council.

It's a week after the fire incident and I am on my way to visit Kaden again. I have not seen him in four days and there is a restless need within me to be close to him again, to feel him and touch him, breathe in his scent as he holds me close.

Matt parks the car overfilling with supplies as I thank him for the lift, getting out to see that the evening sky had darkened slightly. Although it was still light outside, I could see the moon peeking out from the clouds drifting past it.

I walk through the gap in the tree line, greeting some of the boys who are working on the house. Kaden is so lucky to have such amazing friends who are there for him even in the hardest of times. The house is quickly being fixed and my guess is that it will be back to normal again by next week because they are all using their supernatural speed.

I had a major in-class exam this week and thankfully Kaden understood why I couldn't come over. My whole time was spent studying and although I feel like I didn't do well, I tried to remain positive and hopeful. But now, I'm free to see my mate again and my body is already tingling in excitement.

I thank Chris as he holds the front door open for me before passing me. Stepping into the house, I see that the stairs are completely done and the inside of the house is clean from the black soot that covered it before.

"Kaden?" I call, placing my bag on his couch before walking to the patio doors to see if he was sitting outside.

"Hey, Luna. He's in the woods." Owen smiles, nodding towards the forest. 

I thank him and start making my way into the woods, the eerie atmosphere scaring me slightly. I can see numerous guards placed around Kaden's home, my eyes widening at how excellent they were at hiding in the shadows. 

Continuing on, it doesn't take me long to find him. But this time, it's Ajax who greets me instead of Kaden. I realize it's a full moon and Kaden can shift whenever he wants today. His ears perk up before relaxing, acknowledging my presence before he stands.

Something is terribly wrong. 

I stare into Ajax's eyes and they're not the vibrant blue I'm familiar with, instead they are stormy and filled with hurt and sadness. The bond twists achingly the second his eyes meet mine and I frown at the emotion I'm feeling from Kaden, who is no doubt residing in the back of Ajax's mind.

"Hi, Ajax." I smile softly, scratching behind his ear when he walks up to me.  

He purrs in content before nuzzling his head against my stomach, tongue darting out to lick my cheek making me shriek in surprise. I laugh and wipe my skin with the end of my jumper, patting his head as he sits back down on the grass.

"What's wrong?" I finally ask after a few minutes of silence.

"Human is in pain. He shifted when he couldn't take it anymore." Ajax replies, closing his eyes as I run my hand through his fur. 

"What? Why?" I whisper, biting my lip in worry. 

Ajax opens his eyes again but they glaze over momentarily before he looks back at me. Standing, he nuzzles my neck before licking my mark. I smile softly, pressing a kiss to his head which elicits another purr. 

"I love you, little mate." 

"You're leaving?" I pout, wanting to spend more time with the gentle creature.