Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen – Burgers & Bowling.

"Do you have to go?" Kaden grumbles, getting into the driver's seat with a frown.

"For the hundredth time, yes." I giggle at his antics, placing my bag down beside my feet.

He sighs heavily before nodding, starting the engine and turning the car to face the dirt road we had come from yesterday. I had woken up to sunlight streaming in through the glass panes of the doors leading out to the balcony, the sound of birds chirping outside as if to say good morning.

After forcing myself to get out of Kaden's comfy bed, we had enjoyed breakfast. He convinced me to stay until the afternoon and we played Scrabble, Jenga and lots of card games before having lunch. I enjoyed my time there and as we drove further away, I wished to be back in the small home. Everything is simpler here; peaceful. I feel like I have no worries when I am with Kaden.

Sighing, I watch the familiar houses pass by and eventually we reach the clearing in the road. Kaden turns onto the path that would take us back to the main road, miles of land surrounding us as we drive past.

We had been sitting in silence with me observing the scenery outside when my phone vibrated. Hastily, I take it out of my bag and unlock it, seeing I have received a text from Eva.

Eva: Hey, where are you? Did you come home last night?

Luna: Hi! I'm just on my way to Uni, you? No, I stayed over at Kaden's place since it was quite late.

Eva: Girl, I expect details when I see you!

I blush, knowing I'm in for the longest interrogation of my life once she sees me at college. Maybe I can hide...wait...no, we have two classes together. Well, shit.

Luna: It's not like that, we didn't do anything.

Eva: But you wish you did though.

And now my cheeks feel like they're on fire. Thanks, Eva.

Luna: Shut up. I'll meet you in class!

Eva: We aren't done here.

I groan softly, shoving my phone back into my coat pocket. The car slows down to a stop at a junction and I notice Kaden looking at me with concern, causing me to smile at him reassuringly. He nods before accelerating, we still have forty-five minutes to go before we enter the city.

"Do you have to work today?" He asks after a long period of silence, making me turn to look at him.

"Nope, I only have classes today until five."

"What are you doing after?" He asks, glancing at me before turning his attention back on the road again.

"I didn't make any plans really, maybe my friends will think of something." I shrug, thinking about what to do after I finish. Maybe work on some assignments and reports.

Kaden opens his mouth to say something but thought otherwise and remains quiet. My gaze slid to his hand on the steering wheel, watching as his knuckles turn white with how hard he is gripping it. I want to ask if he is okay but keep quiet.

***