Chapter 9

The Bet

"Your place is amazing Clarke." Janet said as she walked around.

"I told you it was small. I never said it wasn't the coolest spot in the world." She said and smiled. "Make yourself at home, take a look around if you want. I'm gonna put on some tea."

Janet walked upstairs to Clarke's bedroom. Her fingers grazed the railing as she made her way to the top. She looked around at the cozy bedroom and then over at Clarke's bed. There was a book laying next to her pillow. She sat down and picked it up. It was her book.

She brought it back down with her

She brought it back down with her. Clarke looked over her shoulder and smiled. "How do you like your tea?" She asked.

"You read my book?" She did holding it up. Clarke turned and smiled.

"Of course I did, and it was a great read. It was dope that you let people see a more intimate and vulnerable side of you. It's nice to see that even someone like you can share such common insecurities. Makes you realize that we are all human at the end of the day."

Janet smiled. "Thank you for taking the time to read it. I'm going to go put this back for you." She said and smiled.

Janet walked back up the stairs, picked up a pen and started to write something inside.

"Its ready!" Clarke called up to her. Janet sat the book back on Clarke's bed and headed down.

Clarke handed her a small tea mug. "I have milk with mine, I hope you like it." She said and motioned for Janet to have a seat.

Janet sipped a little and smiled. "It's perfect. Thank you." She focused on a picture of an older woman on the wall. "Who's that?" Clarke turned, looked and smiled.

"That's my mom. She past away right before I moved here."

Janet touched her hand. "I'm so sorry to hear that."

"It's okay, she was suffering. Cancer. She was strong and fought it as long and as hard as she could. I was so proud of her." She blinked a few times feeling her eyes swell with tears and apologized for getting emotional.

"You don't have to apologize." Janet assured her.

Clarke looked at the picture and smiled. "I miss her everyday." She continued. "She was the reason I even went to the auditions that day. I feel like I let her down."

"Dont beat yourself up that way. At least you took a leap of faith. Not everyone would even do that. Can I ask about your father?"

"There's not much to tell. I don't know him. The only thing I know is that my mom's family wasn't too thrilled when she brought a black man home and that they split shortly after I was born. He signed over his rights and never looked back. I don't have any brothers or sisters. It was always just my mom and I. Her family cut her off when they found out she carried his child. She wanted to keep me, so she left. We moved to Dallas and that's where we stayed until passed. Shortly after I came here."

Janet listened on in amazement. She was brought up in a big family. She had both parents and a house full of siblings.

Clarke paused. "Do you wanna see something?" She walked over to a photo album and pulled out an old picture.

 "Do you wanna see something?" She walked over to a photo album and pulled out an old picture

She looked at the photo and then back over at the one hanging on the wall. "Is this your mother?"

Clarke smiled proudly. "She said she was just walking through the hotel lobby and there you were. She showed people that picture off for weeks." Clarke laughed. "Mom was so excited. She told me how kind you were to her. She's probably looking down on us right now in disbelief."

"Wow, I don't know what to say. I think its very cool that I got the chance to meet her."

"Me too." Clarke said.

They gazed at each other for a moment. The energy around them worked like a magnet as they were drawn closer together. Janet touched her face. Clarke closed her eyes and covered Janet's hand with her own.

Clarke opened her eyes to see Janet staring back at her. It made her heart race. She pressed Janet's hand to her lips and kissed her finger tips. Janet drew a deep breath. She stood up in front of Clarke and straddled her in the chair. Her lips were just inches away from Clarke's, close enough to feel her breath against her lips. She grabbed Clarke's dreads with both hand and tugged her head back gently.

"I want you." Janet whispered breathlessly.