Chapter 41

The Bet

Clarke looked down at her watch. It was almost 6 and she still hadn't received a reply from Janet. She sighed and continued to throw her rainbow tennis ball into the air. "Damn how could I be so stupid?" She sat up on the side of the bed, angry with herself. "I don't know what I was thinking." Her head fell into her hands. "I keep fucking things up man." She glanced over at the picture on her nightstand. She hadn't noticed it before.

Clarke picked up he photo and smiled

Clarke picked up he photo and smiled. It was the first picture they'd ever taken together. She wiped a tear away, went to sit the picture down and something fell from the back of it. It was a folded piece of paper. She sat the picture down and picked it up. Her name was written beautifully on the front in gold ink. She opened it and began to read.

We had the kind of night where morning comes too soon. We used the light from a flickering candle across the room, to make the kind of shadows that only one thing could make... love.

Clarke,
Thank you for being you. Gil bet me that you wouldn't find this note, but I knew you would. There is no one in this world like you Clarke and I feel lucking to have you in my life. You have shown me what real and honest love feels like. I never want to be without it again Clarke. I love you so much more than I could ever explain on this piece of paper, but I promise to spend everyday showing you.

Clarke sat down on her bed. "Wow." She said aloud. Her heart was pounding. She touched her chest and picked up her phone. It's started to ring in her hand. Emory?

"Hello?" Clarke answered.

"Now that's a voice I haven't  heard in a long time. How are you Clarke?" She asked.

"I'm doing okay and yourself?"

"I'm good. I needed to talk to you. I was wondering if we could meet up. I really don't want to do this over the phone."

"Hold for a moment." Clarke said and paced for a moment. She hadn't talked to Emory in months and didn't know if it was a good idea. She glanced at the phone again. "Yeah that's cool. I'm not in the same place though. I will send you the address."

An hour had passed and Clarke ran to the door and opened it. Emory smiled and gave her a hug.

"Come in."

"Damn! Can I go on tour next? Your new crib is bad as fuck Clarke." Emory said as she took a look around. Clarke laughed.

"Thanks, have a seat. Do you want something drink? Wine? Beer?" Clarke said taking down two wine glasses.

"I don't drink anymore but thank you. I'll take a bottled water though." She said and smiled.

Clarke handed her the bottle and took a seat.

"Dang it feels like it's been forever." Emory said.

"A few months at least." They were quiet for a moment.