Chapter 19

The Bet

Gil entered Janet's room. She was walking back and forth, rocking Eissa trying to get him to stop crying.

"Shhhh baby, it's okay. Mama's here." She smiled at him with relief. He approached her, arms extended out as he reached for the baby. "I can't get him to stop crying."

"Hey little guy!"Gil said. "He is so fussy tonight and he looks like he may have a cold."

Janet took a seat on the couch. "Probably from Wissam's little walk in the park with him that was all over TMZ. It was too cold for him to be outside that day. He's been crying since he dropped him off."

Gil laid Eissa down and wrapped him up tightly. Eissa calmed instantly. "There you go little guy." He laid him down in his crib and watched him until his eyes closed. Gil turned on the baby monitor before closing the door to the bedroom. He walked back into the living room where Janet was stretched out on the couch with a pillow over her head. "Sharing is caring bitch, scootch over a bit." He said.

Janet made room for him to join her and then laid her head in his lap. She looked up at him.

"Sometimes I swear you're a better mother than I am." She said and pouted. Gil laughed.

"You're a first time mom bootie. You'll get the hang of it. Things like this takes practice and I for the record, think you're a great mom. Don't ever let anyone make you think different." He pulled some loose stands of her hair and started single braid. "I saw Clarke today." He said and glanced down at her.

"How is she?" Janet asked and started a braid of her own on the other side.

"Not too good. She misses you." He responded.

"Yeah, well she should've thought about that before making me the trophy in her little childish game." Janet said. She felt a lump in her throat and was on the verge of tears.

"Dunk I think you may have this one wrong babe."

She sat up on the couch. "You saw the messages so please help me understand how I'm getting this wrong."

"I talked to her about it. Clarke was joking with Emory. She didn't even know that she was getting the opportunity to meet you that day. Emory was trying to impress Clarke and she used the whole "Bet" thing to cause some drama."

Janet let her head fall into her hands. "She was just so confident when we met. I thought I mistook her cockiness for confidence." She got quiet for a moment and seemed to replay the day back in her head. She looked over at Gil. "I've done something stupid."

"This better not have anything to do with Wissam." He said narrowing his eyes at her.

"I've just been so upset about Clarke and I." She shook her head. "He asked me out for dinner tonight. He says he wants to talk about us."

Gil stood up. "No! Janet are you fucking kidding me? You're not going." He yelled. She shushed him looked down at the baby monitor to make sure Eissa was still sleeping.

"Gil." She said but he continued, quietly this time.

"No Dunk fuck this. He doesn't deserve any of your time for the way he's treated you. He did everything he could to put you in the box. Now that you're out, I refuse to let him do this to you again. I'm not having it." He'd gotten himself all worked up as tears streamed down his cheeks. "I'm not letting his hurt you again. I won't."

"Gil,"Janet said. She stood to her feet and put her hands on his shoulders to calm him. She wiped the tears from his face. "I'm going to call him and tell him I change my mind. Okay?" She hugged him tight.

"I just don't want to see you hurting again Dunk. I can't watch you hurt anymore." He paused for a moment. "That's why I'm sending for someone to pick up Clarke.

Janet looked at him. "Gil..."

"Don't fight this. She amazing and so are you. You deserve this."

"Gil." Janet said again.

"No Dunk, I'm sending someone to go get her now. He picked up his phone and started dialing." He was pacing back and forth now.

"Gil!" She said laughing. "Will you stop for a moment."

"What?" He asked.

I already sent a text Preston already. He's on his to get her now." They both smiled and he picked her up and hugged her tight. "I want this." Janet continued. "I want her." She said. "I can't believe I let that little girl play me, but it won't happen again. I'm going to freshen up before Clarke get here. Will you keep an eye out for Eissa please while I shower?"

"Of course my Love." Gil picked up the baby monitor and stretched on the couch. He grabbed the remote and turned on the TV.
Gil's eyes widened as he stood to his feet. "Um Dunk!" He said. "Jan!!" He raised his voice. "JANET!" He yelled.

She opened the door, and walked quickly towards him. "You're going to wake him screaming like that." She said. Gil pointed towards the TV.

Janet fell back on to the couch. "Fuck." She said.