Chapter 49

The Bet

Janet looked over at the clock. It was 2 a.m. Eissa had been in bed since 7:30 and she had dinner alone for the second week in a row. She got out of bed and paced back and forth finally grabbing her phone to call Clarke.

"I miss you too baby." Clarke said with her ear plugged. Even though she was outside, the music and the crowd roared loudly. "I have to mingle after the show. It's her rule babe, but I will be home as soon as I can, I promise. I gotta go babe. Love you."

"I love you too." She hung up and sat on the edge of the bed. "Stupid fucking rule if you ask me." Janet pulled her knees into her chest. She glanced over at the baby monitor and smiled.

Eissa was turning one soon. She couldn't believe a year had almost past since she gave birth to the love her life. Her thoughts went back Clarke and she glanced over at the lonely pillow next to her. Janet grabbed it taking in the sweet scent of Clarke's dreads. She inhaled deeply and hugged the pillow tight. She loved Clarke so much. The thought of marriage came into her mind again.

She had avoided the subject for weeks now. Even Gil had brought it up a few times.

"Dunk, don't take this as I'm judging you now..." He said.

"That just means you're about to judge me Gil."

"Well bitch I just don't understand." He said throwing his hands in the air. "You married DeBarge, who I'm still convinced bats for my team honey."

"Gil! I was 18, a baby and still learning."

"I get it, but you still married a gay guy, aaaaannnnd..." He said rolling his eyes.

"Please don't say his name."

"Okay then he who shall remain nameless... You saw the signs and you ignored them."

"I'm feeling pretty judged right now."

"Bitch I haven't even gotten to that part yet." It was Janet's turn to roll her eyes. Gil continued. "I can't really get mad at Wissam because he gave us Eissa so I'm gonna leave it at that." He said popping his tongue. "But still... signs honey. You were unhappy through all of those times and then we have Clarke."

"Gil I know. You don't think I know how great she is, but you know what, so was James at first. Reńe too and Wissam." She said looking at him seriously. "Count them Gil," She held three fingers up, "3 failed marriages. If I'm going to do this again, I want to be more than just a little sure that it's right for me and right for Eissa. I love her Gil, I do, but I am just still not there yet."

"Okay, Okay but if you mess this up for us it's your ass." He said snapping his neck her way.

"Us... us is too many people. What would I be Messing up for you?"

"I wanna be the flower girl, duh bitch." They burst into laughter.

Janet was pulled out of her memory as Clarke walked into the bedroom. She didn't hear the door open. Janet glanced over at Clarke and smiled.

 Janet glanced over at Clarke and smiled