Chapter 16

The Bet

"Hey Gil, J and I will meet you in the limo. I want to give her something before we go."

"Mmmmhmm, don't take all day. We have a schedule to keep to ladies so make it quick." Gil said snapping his fingers before leaving the room.

Clarke held out her hand, leading Janet back over to the vanity mirror.

"You look so beautiful tonight J." Clarke finally said. "You're missing something though. Turn around and close your eyes." Janet did as Clarke asked. She pulled a box from her back pocket and opened it, revealing a beautiful necklace. She hooked it around Janet's neck. "Okay, open them."

Janet gasped and put her hand to her chest. "Clarke oh my gosh." She opened her eyes to see the letters {E I S S A} hanging vertically from a beautiful silver chain.

Clarke had been given an advance on the 3 weeks of rehearsal. She'd bought a suit and shoes for the rehearsal dinner. The rest, she spent entirely on the necklace.

Janet turned to face her. Tears in her eyes and a smile on her face.

"Now," Clarke said, "He's with you no matter where you are."

"I love it so much. Thank you." She touched Clarke's face gently and kissed her.

"Now that you're ready, let's get to this party. Tonight we celebrate the beginning of something amazing!" Clarke grabbed Janet's hand and they headed downstairs to the limo. Clarke opened the door.

"Finally!" Gil snapped. "Let's go have some fun!"

Back at Emory's place, she finished the final touches on her make up. She was pretty excited that Clarke had asked her to go. Things seemed like they were back to normal between the two of them. Emory really thought she had messed things up, but seeing Clarke earlier that day made her feel like there was still a chance. She picked up her phone, snapped a picture and sent it to Clarke.

 She picked up her phone, snapped a picture and sent it to Clarke

She also sent the message, "I'm ready, how about you 😍"

Clarke replied. "I was born ready 😏"

Emory grabbed her keys and purse then headed for the door.

The 45 minute drive wasn't too bad and when Emory pulled up to the venue her mouth dropped. "Damn they really made a big deal out of this." She said pulling up to the building. She gave to her keys to the valet and looked around for a second.

A limo pulled in behind Emory's car. She stood there for a moment, curious to see who was going to step out. There was paparazzi everywhere and when the driver opened the door there was Janet, Gil and Clarke.

Emory cut her eyes at them for a moment. "Getting ready with some of the crew huh?" She watched on as flashes of lights poured onto the 3 of them before they disappeared inside. She was close behind with no flashes of light following her. Although someone did yell out to her, asking who she was. She gave the guy the finger and kept walking.

 She gave the guy the finger and kept walking

The space they had chosen was beautiful. Emory walked faster to catch up to Clarke and touched her shoulder once she was in arms reach.

"Wow!" Emory said. "You look so sexy in that suit."

Clarke blushed. "Thanks. You look good too." She turned to Gil. "This is Emory. Jimmy's niece and my best friend. Emory this is Gil."

Gil smiled. They all laughed as he and Emory both stuck their hand out, palm down to be kissed. "Girl in that dress you are bound to leave here with somebody's man."

"Nah, I'm just hoping to catch one girl in particular's attention." Emory looked over at Clarke who's eyes were focused on Janet from across the room.

Gil looked at Emory and then back at Clarke. "Excuse me." He said. "It was nice meeting you Emory." He kissed Clarke's cheek. "Be back Daddy, I'm gonna go find Dunk."

"Okay, hurry back though, I wanna dance." Clarke replied.

Emory took Clarke by the hand. "Well lets go dance then!" She said. They hit the middle of the dance floor joining some of the other dancers.

Emory pressed her body against Clarke's as they moved to the music. The DJ played a dance mix of Janet's songs and every time a classic would play the crowd would erupt into a sing along. Emory brought her lips to Clarke's ear.

"Damn are they only gonna play her music all night?"

Clarke pulled back, nose turned up at Emory.
"The reason any of us are here is because of her Em. We're celebrating her tour."

Emory could see the seriousness in her face. "I'm just saying, don't you think there maybe other stuff she wants to hear, rather than her own music?"

Clarke looked back towards Janet wondering if she was having a good time. She didn't want to crowd her so she kept her distance. Gil was talking to her in a corner of the room, neck rolling as he pointed out to the crowd on the dance floor. Clarke wondered what he was saying...

"Girl that bitch is tryna steal your woman." Gil said dramatically.

"Shhhh Gil, Damn you're going to out us to everyone and technically she is not my woman." Janet said putting her hand on his shoulders to calm him.

"Okay okay I'm sorry, but I'm serious. That girl is over there looking at Clarke like she's a fucking home cooked meal Dunk. Someone needs to check her little hot ass and if she's lucky, it will be someone else other than me!"

Janet looked over at Clarke and smiled noticing she was looking her way as well. She waved. "What am I suppose to do? Like I have room to walk around putting claims in people. I'm the married one. Do you know what could happen if anyone finds out?" Gil nodded. Janet continued. "I have to keep my cool babe. And as much as I would like to snatch the weave off of that little girl's head, I️ have more class than that and I'll handle it." Janet said and grabbed her clutch. "C'mon I feel like dancing." She said and headed for the dance floor.