Chapter 1 - The Preparations, Part 1

Author's Note: WELCOME!

I would like to thank all of you for choosing my story. And if you like it, even just one little bit . . . please click the star 🌟at the end of the chapter, for each star each chapter is a a great boost to bring this story up. I'm a new writer, so please bear with my errors, loopholes, lapses and echetera. I truly would appreciate your understanding . . . and thanks so much for your overwhelming support . . . from the bottom of my heart! God bless you all guys!!!

I believe that a song is the language of the soul. In so far as this book is concerned, I have added a few songs to enhance the heart of the story. I wish you will make the time to listen to them. Once again, t
hank you guys . . . A LOT!!! Please enjoy reading!!!

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

My hands felt cold and clammy, my tummy's in knots . . . my heart felt like a drum . . . I could hardly breathe . . . !

My eyes caught the image in front of me . . . staring at the woman I hardly recognize myself, I just can't believe what I saw in the mirror.

"Are you really . . . this girl?" I whispered, asking the girl whose eyes were staring unblinkingly back at me.

Of course, I knew fully well I wouldn't get back an answer.

Rubbing my hands together, I tried to calm myself down . . . my mind switching outright to the event which would start in less than half an hour . . . I shivered at the thought.

"Come on Andrei! You can do it! You . can . do . it!" I admonished myself, whispering and repeating the words over and over like a mantra. I was glad that there was no one around to see how nervous I really was.

"Oh, God! Why did I ever had to agree to this in the first place?" I thought miserably, both my hands now tight-fisted at my sides.

But Sabina Isabel had been so excited when she learned that I got signed up as one of the usherettes in the inauguration of the newest hotel in the city. Her joy knew no bound.

Hyacinth and Angela, two of my three best friends had been hounding me like crazy since talk of an interview for ushettes went into fever pitch among the local girls, the inauguration mania hit my friends and signed me up!

I told them . . . emphatically, of course, that I wasn't interested, it wasn't my cup of tea!

Yet to my chagrin they submitted my name as replacement for the girl who backed out at the last minute.

Davey, one of our foursome was the newly appointed coordinator of the usherettes after the reshuffling. And, sure! He didn't take my NO for an answer.

"Andrei! Oh, Andrei!" She squealed enthusiastically. "I'm so excited for you! You deserved this, you deserve to have some fun!"

"What fun, Sabbi, hmm?" I said as I tried to quell her enthusiasm, myself not so amused with this latest development in my adult life.

"Your being an usherette . . . of course!" She admonished me like I was some dumb younger sibling!

"Uh huh! And that
isn't very amusing . . . if I need to remind you!" I retorted.

"Andrei . . . please!"

I looked straight into Sabbi's eyes, hoping to get some sympathy from her.

Instead, her wretched look just took me in the gut which now made a dent in my resolve.

"Surely, you won't be going there in your usual T-shirt and jeans with a matching hoodie! Oh my gosh! It's a seven-star hotel, Andrei . . . it's the event of the year and it's come to you like . . . in a silver platter, you know!!!" She rolled her eyes.