Chapter 8 - Casual, But Exclusive

"Goodnight besties," I bid my best friends good night as I came out of the cab.

"See you tomorrow friend . . ." they chorused.

"Yeah, sure. Tomorrow!" I half whispered to myself as I waved a hand at them.

Mary was at the door when I entered the house. "Oh! Good evening Mary . . . ! I see you're ready to go home!" I asked her.

"Uhuh. I gotta get home now that you're here dearie. I need my beauty rest, ya know!" Mary smiled at me.

"Sabbi had just gone to bed. That sister of yours was all excitement the whole evening she wanted to wait for you. But I had to send her to sleep when I saw her eyes all gone droopy!"

"Thank you Mary for being so good to us . . . for taking good care of Sabbi and me."

"Ahhh . . . yeah, yeah! And you two girls have become the children that I've so much wanted to have, had I been blessed. My husband died young leaving me without one." Mary had already told me this many times, but I just let her talk . . . she was kind of a lonely woman whose mother's instinct was always overflowing, taking care of us whenever the need arises gave her joy!

"Well, I never felt I wanted to remarry. So here I am now with you my beautiful young ladies under my wing."

"And we're very grateful Mary, you must know that." I told Mary as I gave her a hug!

"How about coffee?" I offered.

"Nah, caffeine is a no, no for me before bedtime. It won't make me go to sleep. I'll just head home, alright . . .?" Mary answered.

"Right. Anyways, I won't keep you much longer. Good night, Mary."

"Anytime, sweety, anytime!" She said as she let herself out of the house.

Mary, though much younger than my grandma, had been her good friend. And after Grandma died, Mary was always here looking after us like a mother. She'd usually stay with Sabbi when I do overtime or extend shifts. She didn't accept any payments saying she also worries about my sister when was I was out working.

I walked stealthily to Sabbi's bedroom careful not to disturb her and watched her even and peaceful breathing for a while. She maybe a teenager now, I admit, but she's still my baby sister. Nothing will change that.

"I love you Sabbi!" I whispered to the sleeping figure on the bed.

I went to my own bedroom and got ready for bed. I made sure I removed all traces of the make-over on my face. I really can't help it if I dislike its feel on my skin.

And as soon as I came out of the bathroom, a pair of midnight blue eyes popped out of nowhere in my head! I had to close my eyes and tried to shake it off.

"Oh, here we go again!" I made a face at Ashton's image as I took out my cellphone from my clutch bag and placed it on the bedside table.

"What?" I asked irritably at his image that got stuck in my mind the whole evening.

I was trying to get some sleep, many times changing into a more comfortable position, but sleep just eluded me.

His smiling face was now clearly etched in my head, myself still so much awake in my bed in the wee hours of the morning, or maybe just past midnight.

"Funny!" I glared at his image as if he was standing right in front of me.

I've been lying on my back for a while and had been staring at the ceiling, or rather at his image, willing it to go away. Shutting my eyes had the same effect. I just could not go to sleep.