Chapter 18 - burnt cupcakes or muffins

Ashton's POV

We've been on the road for almost two hours now. With Matthew, my personal driver at the wheels, I was able to relax and take a nap.

Waking up with a start as we neared The Farm, I sat up and looked out of the window. This is quite a nostalgic coming home. I always felt my heart racing with excitement and anticipation as I watched the familiar sights rushing by.

Oh, how I love the mountain ranges, how it looked with the changing colors of the setting sun.

It was still quite early before the sun will take its magestic dip. But I can already imagine how the subtle change in the air feels as it gets cooler outside of the car.

Opening the window though, is a risk I can't chance at taking.

Matthew, who'd been my driver since I took over the company was all adamant at keeping the cleanliness inside the car. Dust and dirt is a no, no! It's one of his quirks!

I now became aware of the flatness of the land as my car rushed by for miles, a definite sign that home is not far off.

The old gnarled oak tree was still standing at the roadside, it used to be my signpost when I was little. From there we'd turn right and travel down the dirtroad for about 500 meters.

I could now see The Farm.

My chest was now pounding hard. This feeling always assailed me everytime I came home when the familiar scenery came passing by.

"We're almost there Sir!" Matthew managed to intrude into my thoughts.

"I know Matt! I could now see the old oak tree. It's still there!"

"Yeah. It still has managed to stay beautiful as it is, after all these years."

"You still remember Matt."

"Who wouldn't? I spent my childhood in these parts. My father was Grandpere's personal driver and best friend."

"Uh huh! Those were the happiest days in my life, my childhood . . . with Anthony!"

" . . . . and Margaux!"

""Yeah, and Margaux, too!" I took a deep breath as I remembered them.

==============

Grandmere Lily's POV

"Nana! Nana! Oh, Nana . . . Ashton's coming."

"Really! Ashton's coming home? When? Tomorrow? Is it today? Please make it more specific, Grandmere."

"No! I mean . . . yes! He just called . . . and said he's coming home today. That means he'll be arriving . . ." (Grandmere Lily looked to see the kitchen wall clock) . . . in about . . . two hours from now."

"Oh! It's about time that boy came home." Nana exclaimed.

"He'd been neglecting you with his gallivanting around the globe. I just dislike it when he'd put you in the backseat even if these trips were related to the family business. That's not reason enough for me. He should know his priorities."

"Hush, Nana. We've survived without him worrying about us here, alright? And, I have you, hmm?"

"Hmph!" Nana crossed her arms over her chest in indignation.

"But he still needs to listen to what I have to say . . . because I've so much in here that he's got to know!" Nana roughly tapped her chest for emphasis."

"Alright! Alright! You've made your point . . . I think! I'd better make my exit now. I know there's plenty of time to bake his favorite muffins and cupcakes. But I don't wanna eat burnt cupcakes or muffins! And that's what I came here for in the first place, before I was being sidetracked! You know how he loves them."

"Yup, I know! Don't you worry Grandmere. I'll have them ready by the time he's here, okay? Now, you go back to the living room and take some rest. Take it easy! I know we're all thrilled and happy. But you need to take good care of that heart of yours, alright?"

"I maybe am 87 years old, Nana. But it doesn't make me senile, huh! Though I know I'm useless when I am this excited, you know!" Grandmere grudgingly admitted.

"I know! I know! Now, out of kitchen Grandmere, into the living room because you are such a beautiful distraction." Nana pointed to the door with her forefinger. "

"Besides, I'm thinking I'd better prepare dinner. I'm sure Ashton and Matthew would appreciate it."

"Fine! You do that!" Grandma smiled as she hastily made her grand exit.

==============================================

Hey, guys! I hope this update will make up for my long absence, I've been kept busy this past weeks. I had to go home for my father's death anniversary beside my usual busy routine. (Don't take this badly guys. Both of my parents have passed away some years ago!) And it's been a given that most of my siblings, if not all would make it home and have this occasion reason enough just for bonding time.

Sooo, okay! Please enjoy! Though I know this chapter has some reminiscings going on and it's kind of really painful and sad for Ashton.

Please do vote, by clicking the star 🌟below, comment or whatever you do that you deem necessary to show your support for this story.

Ohh, and I've to be honest with you guys, that I really don't have my own internet connection. I'm just accessing through my son's or daughter's wifi if I need to publish and do research, (if they're not busy, shhh! Joke!)

With that out, now I hope you'd understand me better why updates sometimes come later than I would have wanted!

My deepest, sincerest thanks and appreciation to all of you!!!!!

I didn't expect this story to be included in the ranking, as this is still in the making. I never thought of any ranking though at all, in the first place! So . . . Thankyou and thankyou and thankyou!

God bless everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Till next chapter . . .????????