Chapter 26 - Martin and Lily

"Oh, I knew it!" Grandmere clasped her hands together, happiness shone throughout her face.  Her eyes had an excited glint in it.

"You wouldn't . . . Grandmere!" I was amused at her excitement.

"You bet?"

"Uh uh!  I ain't that petty!"

"C'mon, Ashton. You're no fun at all!" Grandmere tapped my hand.

"That I've been . . . for quite awhile! I'm totally aware of that!" I said unhappily. 

"But . . . you'll have all your fun in a little while, hmm!"

"Oh, come on, Ashton! Tell . . . the suspense is killing me."

"Patience . . . Grandmere,  is a virtue!"

"Really . . . ! Trying to give an old lady a lecture?"

"Nope! But . . . It's just that . . . yeah, I'm so insanely happy . . . I can't seem to contain it, Grandmere.  I just needed to see you and tell you about it."

"Dear grandson, just the mere thought of you coming all the way here to tell me . . . you've met the girl of your dreams is my honor."

"It's a rare thing these days that grandmothers are made part of their grandchildren's lovelife.  And I'm sure it is a woman who has made that iron heart of yours ticking."

"Well, yeah . . . remember Gran, that it was you who'd always know first my crushes when I was a youngster. Between us two I used to feel like I can be who I am without being judged. And, you were always genuinely happy for me. That's the reason why I felt I must come home. And . . . yeah . . . it's a woman who has made my heart tick again. I must admit though that it wasn't like with Margaux this time."

"And your coming here . . . after a decade of absence from your home . . . just . . . . just . . . overwhelms me! I just thought . . . "   Grandmere said shrugging off a momentary sadness.

"I want you to know sweetheart, that you've just made an old woman very happy today!" She gave me that signature smile of hers.

"You couldn't imagine how it means to me, Ashton!" She held my hands as if she'd never let go of them.

"Well, okay! Now . . . tell me her name! C'mon . . . is she beautiful?" She smiled switching into an expectant mode . . . her eyes twinkling!

"She's my princess, Gran . . . the most beautiful woman . . . that I've ever met! Her name's Andrea Nicole."

"Ohh!!! What a lovely name. When can I see her!"

"I don't know Gran, I just met her last Friday, you know."

"Really!"

"Yup, and I still can't believe it, Gran . . . that I had to make Gus get her number within the hour, got a rental under a fictitious name, drove to her house and watched it like I was some stalker???"

"Now . you're . talking!"  Grandmere laughed.

"See what love does to make you do things?" She was clapping her hand like she was an excited teenager!

"Do you think so, Gran?"

She just gave her enigmatic smile nodding.

"And, what time was that?" Grandmere prodded on.

"Oh, it was like . . . past midnight!"

"Ahhhh!" I didn't miss Grandmere's naughty look.

"It's nothing like that Gran.  She's diferent from the other girls I knew.  But Grandmere, I really don't know if this is love. Though, I definitely know that she makes me very happy like . . . I've never known no other . . . What I mean is that, it's too early to make an emotional declaration, right . . . ?  All I know that from the moment I've set my eyes on her, I was completely hooked, I knew she's the one woman for me."